Boneheaded Moves You Hate To Admit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Oct 12, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Name those dummy mistakes that you wish you would've undone.

Got a BC Rich Warlock with Kahler trem for $200 shipped, sold for $300. Should've bastardized the body, and sold the trem for what I sold the bass for.

You live and learn, then get Luvs.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    :D

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Care to elaborate, Brad?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ummm, I bought a synthesizer pedal when I couldn't afford it once, but it all worked out. It was a great unit, but I REALLY didn't have the money at the time...

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I had a great sounding Fender '57 reissue P-Bass that I sold to a good friend some years ago.

I'd played that bass so much, it's finish was wearing off; it had a really cool vibe about it. It had the 'C' neck, a nice lightweight alder body. I think it was made in the early 80's.

I don't regret selling it to my friend, but I regret not having it around anymore!

6. Two that I knock myself in the head for from time to time:

Sold my 1974 Guild Les Paul bass ... it sounded soooo good with the humbuckers and the coil splitters.

Sold my 1979 Rickenbacker 4001... what a bass, I miss it! I don't even remember why. :bawl:

7. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Sold my Modulus Q6, just a few weeks ago.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I feel your pain, i sold my 1978 rick 4001 after owning it for 18 years. I just wasnt playing it. But maaaaaaaaaaan.
    I sold my Q5 same day i sold the rick. I have this love hate thing with MG. I usually only miss it when i want to play the low notes, but i took out some older recordings i did with it and was kicking myself. :rollno: :D

oh yeah, just remembered. About 6 or 7 years ago my pal was moving and sold me one of his 1978 strats for 400 bucks. I love those things. But the wife got super pissed so i hadda give it back. I walk into a shop about 6 months ago and find out they're going for 2 grand now. To make it worse, I've been divorced for 2 years. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccckkkk!!! :p

9. About five years ago, I traded a mint Reverend 5-string and $500 for a Modulus Quantum 4, which I ended up not liking and selling a few months later. I had concluded the Reverend 5 wasn't going to see any use, but I still regret parting with it, especially now that they're out of production.

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu ! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes. I traded an Ibanez USATK 5 in on a Modulus VJ 4. Active EMGs, blonde/tortoise plate, beautiful bass. Unfortunately I'd had trouble switching back & forth and soon gave up on 4's all together. In the meantime I traded the Jazz on a stingray 4 ash/rosewood and I just couldn't find my tone on it. It's long gone now too. All the while I'm jonesing for another USATK 5.

The other one would be the Antigua 78 P bass that I had when I was a kid. Ash/Rosewood, about 13 lbs LOL ! Anyway, I got it for a good price and the first thing I did to it was take a can of Krylon to it and paint it. I thought it was soooo hideous. I still have a mint condition antigua pick guard, if anyone needs one. It went through several strips n' re-paints, including a stint painted a color shifting purple/blue/black color. It was the 1st good bass I ever had, and a bit of a rarity. It finally about disintegrated from all the crap I did to it, and I traded that in. I've since had it replaced by a white/rosewood/tortoise 78, which is gorgeous. But it's still not THAT old p bass. :bawl:

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You should be tarred and feathered for this one!!! I'm STILL looking for one of these! :eek: BTW, I'd be happy to take that p/g off of your hands! :bassist:

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    buzzbass@earthlink.net, gimmie a holler and we'll work it out. Looking for what ? The ATK 5 ? Dave Bunker did an awesome job on those things. I truely believe that they're a better 'Ray 5 than the real 'Ray 5 is. Truely, a badass axe. I'd love to get my hands on another. Found another one on Ebay, and bought it, but it's kind of hammered. I'm thinking about doing a re-fin and adding a bartolini J p'up to it. The way it is now, it would never be worth anything anyway. I'd kill to get a minty 5 though.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The Antigua P.

14. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    (Smacking self in head) Duh ! LOL ! I amaze myself at how dumb I am at times, LOL !

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Brad's the guy who finds all the boneheads and buys their stuff for peanuts. I've always hated him for that. :scowl:

16. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I wonder if he has my old Pbass or the ATK ? :D

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    To date, I think I'd say selling my Ibanez ATK. I even used it, I just needed dough for a PA.

Ray tone, flamed Koa top, and a 1.75" nut.

What was I thinking?

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The one I really regret was my Lull 5. I still miss her. :bawl:

19. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    You still out on tour ?

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I've been home for the last 2 days. We got a week off. I'll be leaving again this weekend.