Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boneheaded Moves You Hate To Admit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Oct 12, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Name those dummy mistakes that you wish you would've undone.

Got a BC Rich Warlock with Kahler trem for $200 shipped, sold for $300. Should've bastardized the body, and sold the trem for what I sold the bass for.

You live and learn, then get Luvs.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Care to elaborate, Brad?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ummm, I bought a synthesizer pedal when I couldn't afford it once, but it all worked out. It was a great unit, but I REALLY didn't have the money at the time...

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I had a great sounding Fender '57 reissue P-Bass that I sold to a good friend some years ago.

I'd played that bass so much, it's finish was wearing off; it had a really cool vibe about it. It had the 'C' neck, a nice lightweight alder body. I think it was made in the early 80's.

I don't regret selling it to my friend, but I regret not having it around anymore!

6. Two that I knock myself in the head for from time to time:

Sold my 1974 Guild Les Paul bass ... it sounded soooo good with the humbuckers and the coil splitters.

Sold my 1979 Rickenbacker 4001... what a bass, I miss it! I don't even remember why. :bawl:

7. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Sold my Modulus Q6, just a few weeks ago.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I feel your pain, i sold my 1978 rick 4001 after owning it for 18 years. I just wasnt playing it. But maaaaaaaaaaan.
    I sold my Q5 same day i sold the rick. I have this love hate thing with MG. I usually only miss it when i want to play the low notes, but i took out some older recordings i did with it and was kicking myself. :rollno: :D

oh yeah, just remembered. About 6 or 7 years ago my pal was moving and sold me one of his 1978 strats for 400 bucks. I love those things. But the wife got super pissed so i hadda give it back. I walk into a shop about 6 months ago and find out they're going for 2 grand now. To make it worse, I've been divorced for 2 years. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccckkkk!!! :p

9. About five years ago, I traded a mint Reverend 5-string and $500 for a Modulus Quantum 4, which I ended up not liking and selling a few months later. I had concluded the Reverend 5 wasn't going to see any use, but I still regret parting with it, especially now that they're out of production.

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes. I traded an Ibanez USATK 5 in on a Modulus VJ 4. Active EMGs, blonde/tortoise plate, beautiful bass. Unfortunately I'd had trouble switching back & forth and soon gave up on 4's all together. In the meantime I traded the Jazz on a stingray 4 ash/rosewood and I just couldn't find my tone on it. It's long gone now too. All the while I'm jonesing for another USATK 5.

The other one would be the Antigua 78 P bass that I had when I was a kid. Ash/Rosewood, about 13 lbs LOL ! Anyway, I got it for a good price and the first thing I did to it was take a can of Krylon to it and paint it. I thought it was soooo hideous. I still have a mint condition antigua pick guard, if anyone needs one. It went through several strips n' re-paints, including a stint painted a color shifting purple/blue/black color. It was the 1st good bass I ever had, and a bit of a rarity. It finally about disintegrated from all the crap I did to it, and I traded that in. I've since had it replaced by a white/rosewood/tortoise 78, which is gorgeous. But it's still not THAT old p bass. :bawl:

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You should be tarred and feathered for this one!!! I'm STILL looking for one of these! :eek: BTW, I'd be happy to take that p/g off of your hands! :bassist:

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    buzzbass@earthlink.net, gimmie a holler and we'll work it out. Looking for what ? The ATK 5 ? Dave Bunker did an awesome job on those things. I truely believe that they're a better 'Ray 5 than the real 'Ray 5 is. Truely, a badass axe. I'd love to get my hands on another. Found another one on Ebay, and bought it, but it's kind of hammered. I'm thinking about doing a re-fin and adding a bartolini J p'up to it. The way it is now, it would never be worth anything anyway. I'd kill to get a minty 5 though.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The Antigua P.

14. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    (Smacking self in head) Duh ! LOL ! I amaze myself at how dumb I am at times, LOL !

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Brad's the guy who finds all the boneheads and buys their stuff for peanuts. I've always hated him for that. :scowl:

16. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I wonder if he has my old Pbass or the ATK ? :D

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    To date, I think I'd say selling my Ibanez ATK. I even used it, I just needed dough for a PA.

Ray tone, flamed Koa top, and a 1.75" nut.

What was I thinking?

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The one I really regret was my Lull 5. I still miss her. :bawl:

19. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    You still out on tour ?

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I've been home for the last 2 days. We got a week off. I'll be leaving again this weekend.