1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss new wireless WL-50 and WL-20

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DonaldR, Jun 14, 2018.

1. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
  2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks interesting they claim to have solved the active bass problem with the 20L that other units with the same design philosophy have. The only price that I have seen is $180 for the WL-20 models and $200 for the 50 model

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The WL-50 looks ideal. Similar functionality to the Line6 G10 but with a sensible sized and sensibly powered receiver.

I do wish manufacturers would include a tuner in the receiver though.

Sav'nBass likes this.
  4. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Shure GLXD16 has a tuner but at twice the price of Boss WL-50.
    I wish manufacturers include XLR output in addition to 1/4" output though.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    It would appear that the difference between the 20 and 20l is the cable tone simulation. Apparently, the 20L has this simulation removed which works better with active basses. As such, the 20L would prob be better suited between the two for bass whether active or passive - you can eq the subtle treble roll off.

That said, considering the price, it would seem the 50 is the better deal for bassists who use both passive and active instruments as it has a cable tone on/off switch.

Sav'nBass likes this.
  6. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I see the WL-20 as a really nice solution when I just take my bass and a DI (no amps/pedals) to jam with friends. My Yamaha TRBX-505 sounds enough warm in this scenario (and is active so I can EQ for what I need), so just plugging the receiver into the mixer will remove 1 guitar cable + 1 DI + XLR cable. A wireless DI woohoo!!!!

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Looks interesting for sure.

8. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I see it has auto channel selection, is this how the other makes operate? (I'm total clueless about wireless systems.)

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    only certain ones like the line 6 G10; the two halves are connected together, they search for a clear channel and sync to it, the light tells you they're ready then you pull them apart. i think the shure GLX-D16 does something similar.

my line 6 G75 OTOH has a scan function but it's semi-manual; you turn the guitar pack off then set the receiver to scan, once it chooses a channel it likes you turn the pack back on and manually set it to the same channel.

delta7fred likes this.
  10. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    well, they claim a 2.3ms latency (G10 is like 4ms, Shure GLDX can go up to 9ms).
    let's see if that's true.

11. Line6 G10 has XLR out.

DonaldR likes this.
  12. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    but frankly it's quiet noisy, so I never was able to make use of the DI output in my G10.

DonaldR likes this.
  13. I never used it, so I wouldn’t know. The jack works fine for me.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i think the shure's normal latency is at that same 4ms spec. there's something in the manual about other frequency bands it can go to when the interference is bad, with the tradeoff being that higher latency.

15. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    from Shure's website re. latency: GLX-D: 4 ms minimum; 7.3 ms maximum.

I recall it has two modes, one (mode 1) is faster but has less coverage and not recommended to use in crowded wireless environment, the other one (modes 2,3 and 4) is more reliable, but more slow.

actually not bashing the Shure, but recently upgraded my studio's audio interface and that dropped the latency in DAW from 4ms to less than 2ms and that's a huge difference, but the 4ms vs 7ms is far more notable.

it looks for me that WL-50 is like an improved version of G10: same design, but standard 9v power, less latency, no crappy DI, ability to charge the transmitter when not docked... --- on paper it all looks very good. how it will be in real life -- well, let's wait for first owners' impressions.

walterw likes this.
  16. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    For sure it looks impressive on paper for the price.

17. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Line 6 G75 has both tuner and XLR out.

18. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    I'm definitely curious about this - I like the idea of plugging the tiny receiver into my amp/pedalboard with no other boxes or whatnot.

I hope this isn't line-of-sight based though - kind of defeats the entire purpose of being able to move around uninhibited by a cable. I just ordered a Stageclix, but if this gets strong enough reviews I'll definitely look into it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  19. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    From this video we can see it having a good range
    boss wl20 - YouTube

20. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not sure I like the charging arrangement. I have 8 disposable AA batteries. Two in my G30, Two in my Shure in-ears, and the four from the previous gig recharging. I also keep a set of four regular AA batteries in my bag just in case. And 3 cables in case there's too much interference. And if I'm going somewhere new I have a Behringer B205D spot monitor in my car just in case. As soon as I can locate a great deal, I'm getting a spare Class D amp to back up my Aguilar.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020