Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss OC-2 Settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, May 11, 2005.

1. I like the pedal, but i cant cet the sound i want.... Any suggestions on settings on the pedal? :bassist:

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    This pedal is one of my faves! It was made for 15"/18" speakers(...or larger!). For the most part, start at zero on all knobs... set your dry volume(smaller knob) to be even whether the unit is on or off. They call this "unity gain". Now depending on your speakers, blend in some of the first octave down(big knob on the right). I recently added a second 15" speaker to my rig, so I've noticed I don't have to turn up the octave volume to get the same impact as I used to. My settings are usually as follows: With a 4x10 cab- Dry volume 3/4, 1st octave(right knob) 3/4, 2nd octave(left knob) off. With a 15" cab- 3/4, 1/2, off. With 2 15"cabs- 3/4, 1/3, off. It also depends on what sound you are going for. For instance, my band does "What I Got" by Sublime. It has a dubby synth line so I turn off my dry volume, turn up the 1st octave all the way, and turn off the 2nd octave... then I play the line way up the neck! Nails it. You probably won't find to much use for the second octave unless your using it on guitar or unless your running through a big house P.A. Nice choice :)

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Yeah... on and off. :p

Really though, there's not a whole lot to do with the pedal, IMO. What don't you like about the sounds you're getting, and what sound would you like to get? I like my Digitech BSW octave setting more, but the OC-2 has those cool quirks of it's own.

I like to get more "synthy" sounds out of mine. I just turn up the OCT 1 almost as high as it goes and that's it. I don't see a use for the OCT 2 with clean bass, as the frequencies that low are barely audible (remember, it's a guitar pedal).

The Boss manual has some settings in it, and the one for bass is both knobs at about 10 o'clock. I'll try that out when I get home...

Good luck. :bassist:

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Yeah? Put a fretless through it. I think you'll find some stuff to do...

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Most of the time I have the direct and Oct 1 levels at around 2 or 3 o'clock, so it's just a little bit louder than with the pedal off. Sometimes if I'm playing way up high I'll add in some Oct 2. It's fun turning down the direct tone to get a really deep sound. The DigiTech and various harmonizer effects might have better tracking but I love the gargly sound and squishy feel of the 0C-2.

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I DO play my fretless through it. A lot. ;)

I <3 OC-2

I'm just saying, there's not a whole lot of variation with the effect. It's just "levels"... not speed, depth, sensitivity, EQ, etc. that exist on other types of effects. My comment was mainly in response to the original poster not finding a sound he's pleased with. If you don't like the sound of the effect from this pedal, all you can do (on the pedal) is adjust the volume/mix of it.

7. I figured it out.... I had on the Octave #2 on the same as the Octave #1... whoops. Thanx for all the help. :bassist: