1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss SY-1 Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phagor, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    New synth pedal from Boss for bass and guitar. Seems to be based on the SY-300, so more resynthesis than synthesis - for me it always has an element of the original sound in it, never quite as pure as a synth. Very interesting though.

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    I have been interested in the Boss Synth pedals, but I just don't know how to use these sounds with my metal band.

theunknowndude likes this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well watching these vids got me pumped!! My GAS has fully ignited for this one. That hold feature sounds AWESOME. As does the "guitar/bass" switch on it. Very cool stuff IMO.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Haha!! You can use TWO of them in parallel! That's genius. GAS x2 on this one.

5. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Boss have a "Sound Tryout" thingy on their site. Basically recordings of the various settings, but useful anyway.

BOSS - SY-1 | Synthesizer

Pbassmanca, Al Krow and gregmon79 like this.
  6. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Ugh I'm gassing hard for this. I hope someone buys and links 121 of these in parallel

7. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Kentucky
    What a time to be alive

8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I know, I’ve been thinking about it all morning haha I am GAS’ing pretty hard for the newer one coming out from Source Audio too, but for whatever reason, Boss always gets my attention still too. I’ll probably get the SA one though if I’m honest. Mostly because of all the app options on it. But the SY1 may end up on my board one day as well. We’ll see!

GentProvocateur likes this.
  9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    giphy.

Rabidhamster and gregmon79 like this.
  10. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I keep trying SA stuff and keep letting it go. Something about it just doesn't jive with me - I always feel like it's blocking my creative process. The Boss ui on this is up my alley though

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I’d have to say the same somewhat. I’ve owned like 7 or 8 of their pedals and I really liked them. But I always ended up flipping them. Synths are a little different for me though. That effect category was always on its own for me. I still kick myself for flipping my Moogerfooger Freqbox. God I wish I would’ve just held onto it. So Idk, we’ll see what happens. The SY1 sure seems like a total winner. While it’s not the end all be all, the feature set and sounds in it sure sound bada$$ to me. And it looks super simple to use too which is a plus for a synth. It’s like, a lot but not too much. It’s like it’ll scratch that itch an a little more still.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :thumbsup: That looks very cool! I have the SY-300 which has recently become my 'all-in-one' preamp/compressor/ HPF/DI/tuner box (SY-300 has a really nice high-visibility tuner!) but if I go over to the Dark Side and get a discrete pedalboard (lately I have been leaning that way) :) - then I would definitely pick up one of these SY1 pedals

SirMjac28 likes this.
  13. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    O M F G

GentProvocateur likes this.
  14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Buy it and find a way.

15. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    Looks like they've packed a lot of features into this little guy.

Anybody found a price tag on it yet?

16. Spectrum, Kijuer, gregmon79 and 2 others like this.
  17. I'm wondering if it's able to respond immediately, without the slight ramp up or lag at the beginning of the notes.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  18. BigBoyPete

BigBoyPete Supporting Member

May 17, 2018
    Low B?

19. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    After to listening to the few demos, it sure sounds like the tracking and response time is stellar as far as synths go. Quick and solid.