1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss SY-1 Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phagor, Jul 11, 2019.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I bet money it'll handle it good.

BigBoyPete likes this.
  2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I need to research this. If I can get a Moog ish Billy Jean type of sound, I’ll buy two.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    P-oddz, BigBoyPete and diegom like this.
  4. BigBoyPete

BigBoyPete Supporting Member

May 17, 2018
    Just Did it.

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    +1

6. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Super cool that they have taken the trouble to pull this feature together - and let us audition each of the 121 settings with added reverb and delay, different 'depth' settings and a choice of bridge and neck pups.

Well done Boss!

BigBoyPete likes this.
  7. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    It sounds great but the lack of preset storage/recall is a deal-breaker for me (that and I already have a C4).
    Having tons of options without needing an app is great, but having to stop and twist knobs every time you want a new sound without being able to save is a little primitive in 2019.

Robertron, flojob, Veldar and 4 others like this.
  8. Sounds like fun! #NEED

9. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    From the demos, it seems better than the SYB-5. That thing was such a frustration to me.

Looking forward to playing with this when it hits my local shop. Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Its in a whole new league above from the SY-5, this thing does polyphonic synth (recognises chords), and 32 bit processing, glitch free tracking.

Rabidhamster and Winslow like this.
  11. This is the new league of pedal tech where these things can actually track now. The EHX "dash 9" series started it, and I can just picture the Boss engineers in their mad scientist lab, witnessing the success of EHX, getting ready to tell EHX, "Hold my beer!"

I'm a sucker for cool delay and synth pedals. I will likely be getting one of these.

12. Hot take... as someone who loves working with analog synths I recognize that I don't need a ton of tweakability when it comes to utilizing synth sounds on the bass. This is awesome.

13. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Mildly intriguing.

14. RissKippery

RissKippery Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Such an awesome pedal. Pretty unbelievable how much is packed in there. I watched the demo by The Pedal Zone and that sold me far more than any of the bass sounds Juan made.

theunknowndude and gregmon79 like this.
  15. I think it is amazing times we are living in with so many choices, a true effects pedal renaissance I am sure. For a lot of players, touring pros, weekend warriors this is a great solution for getting classic reliable synth sounds and I am sure Boss done it right as always. Those looking for more sounds than the EHX Mono Synth pedals. For those that want to be more creative there are other tools like the C4, Zoia, FI, Meris and others I am sure we'll be seeing soon.

gregmon79 likes this.
  16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Pre-ord'd!

ole Jason and GentProvocateur like this.
  17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I was going to go for the C4 really. But due to my situation atm and accessibility, the SY1 was the one I went for. I really think it's gonna be bad a$$. Can't wait for it to ship! Should be on or around the 17th.

bassbrad likes this.
  18. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I wonder if zzsounds is being overly optimistic or if Cream City Music's expected ship date of Sept 1 is just later than others

19. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I sure hope they aren't. But then there's these YT guys that have it already. So I'm sure it'll be soon. I'm sure it's going to be different site to site. Plus Zzounds is a "certified Boss dealer". Not sure if Cream City Music is or not. So that may make a difference. I just hope it's not like when I got my BWhammy reissue from SW. No fault of SW really, but their release dates ended up being pushed back weeks because they were stuck waiting for the boat. So we shall see! I'm optimistic. We'll revisit this statement next week haha

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 7:27 AM
    GentProvocateur likes this.