1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss SY-1 Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phagor, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Will have to try and find that one... the other one was pretty underwhelming!

And to the guy that says about using them in a metal band... I use my dirty robot in the ambient parts as a slow filter sweep... hoping the sy1 can replace that but will have to listen to more demos!

2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    #GREAT

BigBoyPete and lesclaypoolsob like this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Dang, Zzounds changed their order status to "coming soon". Hope that doesn't mean "we have no idea" as it said July 17th yesterday.

4. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

They probably saw our exchange and thought they’d better check :)

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    [​IMG]

RissKippery likes this.
  6. BigBoyPete

BigBoyPete Supporting Member

May 17, 2018
    Sweetwater said they had an eta of next week, but my salesperson said not to count on that because there was no tracking yet. Who knows, but I'm excited for this one. I have several synth pedals that require quite a bit of software involvement. Im looking forward to this one that has some killer sounds and easy user interface. Also the effects loop sounds amazing to me. Throw a separate 0C2 type octave in there or a nice slow opening filter that runs in parrallel with the synth, now that gets my creative juices flowing!

GentProvocateur and gregmon79 like this.
  7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I... don't... need... another... pedal...
    I... don't... need... another... pedal...
    I... aaaaaaahhhhhh!!!... gotta have this!
    Major GAS attack!

Spectrum and gregmon79 like this.
  8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That's what I'm sayin man. I'll say it again, I haven't GAS'd for a pedal this hard in a very long time. I grabbed a hold a me quick! All the cool features and sounds helped.

Nunovsky and GentProvocateur like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

a few months back i bought an EH bass mono synth pedal. i like it, but for what (and how much) i use it, this one would seem to be the better deal. as i have no GAS ( :D ) i'll wait for a report from one of you cats. thanks in advance!

it really does seem to have a lot going for it!

10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    This seems like a smaller form SY-300 without the editing features, presets or midi but with all the great sound and tracking.

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. For this reason, I'm a constant lurker on the effects forum! There is a similar post on the forum and one poster indicated this may replace his 'Dirty Robot' which I have. This may replace my BSY600, too! This may be my only pedal purchase this year, after I try it.

theunknowndude and gregmon79 like this.
  12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I had the BSY600 too and I did like it. I ended up selling it though as it didn't quite get sounds I wanted. The SY1 seems like it's going to be chalk full of sounds I want/can use/will like a lot.

eriky4003 likes this.
  13. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    The pedal zone video was amazing.

Wish I could join on the demo game, I’ll have to see if I can afford one this next week.

Veldar and RissKippery like this.
  14. I think they are all great choices, I almost popped for the EHX Bass Mono Synth [and the SY1 is cooler still] until the C4 was announced and for me that was a long time dream come true. I am less a gigger these days and more into creating and recording with too much time on my hands so the C4 will be well used and frankly something within my meager "play" budget.

15. RissKippery

RissKippery Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Normally I prefer a demo without any other pedals paired, or at the very least about 90% of the pedal by itself, but his demo was incredible. I have absolutely no use for this pedal but I want it now because of that video.

gregmon79 and adamaarts like this.
  16. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    The loop on this probably sold me. The sound is great too, but between my Future Impact, Matryoshka, and HX (and dozens of other synth pedals) I can cop all the sounds... I am such a sucker for parallel routing options... it's like a weird fetish.

adamaarts and RissKippery like this.
  17. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    Anyone know how low it tracks? does it track a low B or does it stop at E? (one good thing about the FI is how well it tracks low notes...)

18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have an HX and I don’t think you can get a lot of the sounds the SY1 can get. Maybe I’m wrong. But the SY1 seems like it has a lot more sounds in it compared to the helix.

I’m pretty sure it’s going to track low notes great. Low B? Not sure. Time will tell. But I have a feeling it will without issue. People are already talking about how well it tracks and how’s theres no latency.

19. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I have an SY-300 which the SY-1 seems to be based on, it tracks down to low B and beyond quite well.

Nunovsky and theunknowndude like this.
  20. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013

Curious if the sy-300 will come down a bit in price. $699 is a pretty select market size for a synth pedal. I think the sy-300 is pretty rad but I’ve never been a fan of boss multi fx UI. They always pack in the right functionality but not really intuitive. I find some of the Roland synths to be a lot of the same menu dive approach. All that said, if a used sy-300 gets to be down in the $300 range, I’ll be adding it to the collection.

Nunovsky likes this.