1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brian Bromberg Carvin Model Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Dec 7, 2011.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Question for Brian, what kind of rig are you using at your clinics and gigs as well? Sorry if this was addressed already. Both Pt. 1 & 2 of this thread is huge! I've heard talk that you're using a Carvin B2000 head; is that true? And I have no idea about what cabs you've got going on or FX.

Care to share kind sir?

2. They were last time I bought a bass from them, but I did some research and it appears they actually stopped doing it in the mid/late 2000s. I don't know any details, but I hear they improved their truss rods sometime around then as well. That may have something to do with it.

3. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Did some recording yesterday with B25S, and it was a champ!

4. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

It took me a couple weeks to get used to the radiused pickups....now, I don't think I can live without them. B2s may be the bass world's best kept secret.

5. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Did we ever find out about the active - passive question? Don't see an option for this. Also, while I'm here, what's the the nut width?

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Word is that the active/passive switch on the Bromberg was some sort of fluke. Maybe this (these?) bass(es) had the wrong preamp in them. I don't think Mr. B is all that keen on this so I suspect this will not be happening again. As for the nut with, a petite 1.51." Doesn't get much more user-friendly that that.

7. I plan on taking mine into the Carvin shop and comparing pre's when I get a chance.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Okay one more time, does anyone know what amp setup Brian Bromberg is playing through at these clinics and on his video demos? I've heard talk he's using a B2000 head. Is that true? How about the cab? Any effects?

Thanks!

9. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey DGCE, I actually don't know what amp I played through on the video demos as the sound of my bass is direct from the bass to the board using a direct box then split off the amp so I could hear the bass on stage. They did a very good job with the circuit board and the pick ups on these basses.

I went to the Carvin Hollywood store yesterday to pick up my blue mist B24 with chrome hardware and a birdseye maple fingerboard that I ordered awhile ago. I will post some pics on the Carvin B2 Bass Facebook page. This bass even with the stock bridge is amazing. You know how when you pick up an instrument and play it acoustically, just on your lap to check it out for the first time you can tell instantly if the bass has mojo or not? You can tell as soon as you play it if the bass has good resonance and sound transmission through the wood. This bass I could feel in my feet when I plucked it! I even said to David who works in the store "man this is a good bass!" It looks clean and simple, kinda retro, and it has that "thing" that we all look for in an instrument.

Carvin still blows me away with the quality of their instruments for what they charge for them. And, they are made in the USA. Very impressive............

timplog likes this.
  10. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh one more thing, I actually like the active/passive push pull switch. But, the way my circuit board is laid out if we used the active/passive switch when you pan between the pickups the volume dropped about 20% when you had the blend knob on the center detente. To me it was more important to have the volumes balanced and the same throughout the pick up blend then to have the volume change when you go back and forth between the pickups.

To accomplish this we use an active blend knob and the volumes are balanced and even...............

So if there was a bass that had the push pull then it must have been a fluke as you said!!!

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the info, Brian. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of that blue mist beauty!

12. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    When I had my SB5000, though the active preamp was very good, most of the time I played it in passive mode through a Tech 21 VT.

But with my B25S, I don't miss the passive mode at all. And I don't play it through the VT Bass. The preamp, in my opinion, is as good as any I've heard.

13. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

+1 Absolutely

This is the pre that all Carvin basses should use.

14. Battist

Battist

Mar 18, 2009
    Just received my car vin b24!! Its a fantastic instrument but the only problem I'm having is my A and G#s (especially the 6th and 7th fret on the D string) are extremely dead and have no resonance at all...could this be the setup or the the frequency I'm using? i have the frequency knob a little over 1/2 way to the right...If any one could help me that would be great!

15. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey Battist, this is what I would do: First play the bass unplugged and totally acoustic and see if you still feel those dead spots. If you do then I would change the strings and see if they go away. If they are still there then I would call Carvin and tell them. I know they have a good policy of making sure you are happy with your instrument. If the dead spots are truly in the bass itself then I'm guessing you could send it back and have them replace it with another bass if you do it within the time period they have?

This is the first time I have heard about dead spots on one of the B2's, but hey that bass was a tree not that long ago so it happens. On my Fender Jazz Bass there is a bad wolf on the G string on the D-Eb that I could never get out. I have actually seen that on a lot of basses.

Let me know how it works out and if I can help? Post some pics!.............Lemme know

16. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Brian,

When you tune your Carvin in "piccolo" mode, what string style/gauges/brand(s) are you using?

Are you tuning the open strings A2 D3 G3 C4?

Bryan

17. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Until Brian gets back, I think I can help you out with your piccolo question. I am doing alot of piccolo stuff right now as well in a similar vein to Brian's and I am in fact covering one of his songs (Through the Window). From what I can tell, the tuning is an octave and a 4th above regular bass pitch so ADGC. I've been using Circle K strings and the gauges I have found to be most useful are: (.031 .020 .014 .010). They are light enough to effortlessly bend and shred, but taut enough that buzzing isn't a problem with low action.

18. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes mine are very similar but La Bella's. A D G C

19. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Interesting. Have you tried going one gauge heavier?

20. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks Brian. Which La Bellas are we talking about here?