Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice V2 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the ombudsman, Aug 4, 2004.

1. That little cheapo thing looks damn sweet. Anyone owns one? A little feedback would be greatly appreciated. I think I need a cheapo fretless fiver.

2. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    I've been looking at Brice's at Rondo Music for some time now, probably get one very soon. I've heard nothing but great reviews about Brice Bass Guitars. they are a custom brand retailed by Rondo Music. Kurt, from Rondo Music, posts on here, his user name is Kurtzentmaier. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57599&page=1&pp=20
    This is the Essex Megathread, which rondo music also sells, like Brice. Kurt's customer support is amazing, as seen in this thread, he replies to any question you have.

3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I own this bass in the unlined fretless 6 string version. I really like it and am frankly quite blown away by the quality for the price.

Pros are a pretty fast neck, good looks, good tone and overall sound, quality hardware and good feel all around. I actually insisted on taking the floor model instead of a brand new one because I loved the way it was set up-- it played great!

Cons are unfinished neck feels a little cheap (think Fender squire P or J), and the electronics are a bit counterintuitive with two volumes and a belnd pot that totally contradict eachother.

I bought my bass for $230 plus tax and find it to be a steal. I understand they are down to $199 now. At that price I am actually thinking of getting another and customizing it as a project.

If you can get to Rondo and play them I would suggest you do that. It's a really nice shop and they are really nice and helpful there. They also tend to blow out floor models for rediculous prices.

Good luck.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a 6 string fretless that I got at Rondo for under $170 as a floor model that desparately needed a set-up. After a set up it is a playable giggable instrument. Good materials and good enough workmanship. Strange controls, but a fine bass. Ultra loud output. I'd recommend it. Good bass. :bassist:

5. Thanks guys! The twin volume/blend pot configuration is totally useless. I wonder what they were thinking when they conceived that. Anyway, if the bass is that good, I wouldn't mind the st00pid control layout.

I think it's time to cure some GAS. :hyper:

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I just ignore the blend and use the bass as a Jazz configuration. It works fine that way, except the output is so hot I can only crank it up about 1/3 the input stage on my amp (both of them) will distort bigtime. For only $200 it's worth a try!

7. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I too am looking into the v2, or the hxb. i think i will just go with the v2 5 fretless. omni- what color did you get, and when it arrives, can you post some pics?

8. I didn't order yet. I'm considering the trans black color. Yummy!

9. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    im thinking about going with the blue of the same model. i think i may order it next week

10. I may order one next week, too, if I don't change my mind. If I get one, I think the gold knobs will be replaced with black ones. A little too much gold for me.

11. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i may just order it today, and have it here next week. If it comes in one piece, and sounds decent, i will keep it. Seems like a good project bass to me. add some new stuff, and see how it sounds. I was going to go with black, but i like the way the gold hardware looks with the blue. Seems to have a pretty decent review, if you dont get a fudged up one

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Be patient with it. Mine needed a setup desperately. After the setup it is quite nice. The pickups are non-standard, you will have to rout to try other ones. The strings are terrible, I recommend changing them the day you get the bass. The hardware is adequate, workmanship OK. A usable bass. All the colors look equally nice.

13. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i ordered mine today. I plan on taking my time with it. I will probably take it to my local music shop to have it set up if its not right- they do it for free for me. Strings are the first thing to go. Philbiker- what type of strings did you go with?

14. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    whoa?! that looks like a killer bass for $199.. i hadnt been on the rondo music site in a while.. looks like i might be picking up an amber one soon :hyper:

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Carvin flatwound. I love flats on a fretless!

16. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i know, i ordered it on thursday, and i think they changed the price on friday or saturday. Ive got to get ahold of kurt and see if he can help me out. The shipping was incredible. I ordered it on thursday afternoon, and it was here friday afternoon via ups ground. It doesn't sound too bad, but the lower notes come out a little twangy, string buzzing. any way to fix that?

17. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    As I recall, the strings that come standard on the bass are super light, as in the B string is .100 or .115. Heavier strings would likely help you emilinate the floppiness and buzz.

18. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What Roger says. The strings that they ship with now on newer Brice basses are D'Addarios and perfectly usable out of the box. The ones that the older V2s had are really poor, I took them right off mine when I got it. :meh:

19. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i dont see the fretless 6 V2 up there...has it been discontinued? :(