1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bro battle!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fishsticks, Apr 24, 2009.

1. help me settle a friendly argument with my roommate, he wants to tunes his new Sx 5 banger to AEADG, i said that Low A isn't going to be reproduced well by the average speaker and that the B was already pushing the bottom of the frequency range for most bass cabs(and speakers in general). he insist that he can "hear" the fundamental note fine, i say he just thinks he can hear it. what do you guys think...

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, if the 'thinks' he can hear it, and he likes it, that's all that matters. ;)

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, so.............

what i'm trying to say is, its not about reality, its all about perception. ;)

4. Safari

Safari

Feb 6, 2009
    Atlanta
    "Normal" humans are supposed to be capable of hearing as low as 20Hz. It's difficult for me to differentiate notes at that low range, but it's completely possible that he can hear it just fine.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Your thinking is flawed.

Search other threads here on talkbass, it's been discussed multiple multiple times.

You're not hearing the fundamental on a low B string either, yet my 2x10 cabinets reproduce low B's just fine... and lower...

He will be fine. Let him try it and make up his own mind. If he has a decent amp and decent speakers you'll be surprised. If you can hear it, you can hear it rather it's the fundamental or not.

6. I think what the OP is getting at is that a note that low will not be produced well by the speaker. I don't have a ton of experience in this, but from my understanding, most speaker cabs start to have pretty steep roll-off at much higher frequencies than 27.5 hz. Unless the OP's roommate has top quality reference monitors or dedicated subwoofers, I think it's unlikely that he's hearing the actual fundamental pitch.

Of course, if he's happy with the sound, then why not?

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think he might be able to hear it. However, I think he will need power and serious speaker surface area to reproduce it live.

8. mrwink

mrwink

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    is this really a problem? you guys worry about how each other tunes their basses??? It's an sx... try it and if it doesn't work throw it away and buy a few more:bassist:

9. he does in fact have top quality reference monitors... and no live rig. (runs through guitar rig for home recording project) so maybe i'm wrong in this case, but i argue that his theoretical listeners' speakers (in a car, house, boom box, etc) wont reproduce those notes either.

10. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    This is blown to death here on TB. I'm in the small group who says the speakers need to be able to reproduce the notes at the fundamental. As you bring to power up the speakers have to be able to reproduce and not fart out. HAVE FUN. BOB

11. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Please tell me that he doesn't worship Fieldy.

12. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    He can't hear it. What he hears satisfies him. take solace in the fact that you are right but you are both still happy.

you are right, only systems with incredibly high-fidelity subs or extremely good reference monitors will reproduce it.

And live, the sound guy will probably hit the 75 hz cutoff button on his board channel anyway.