1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

broken neck...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mofo-Kang, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    This Aria Pro II looks like it's in great condition aside from the cracked neck. Does that look like an easy fix to you guys?

http://snipurl.com/20i7a

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It isn't a really easy fix but a good woodworker could do it, assuming that it's a clean break. Not something to do yourself without a bit of experience, but based on just that picture, it could be glued and would hold. But I'd have to look at it in person to say for sure. The choice of glue used is important. I wouldn't use ordinary carpenters glue. I've had good success with a 2 part urea formaldehyde marine glue. A more involved repair would entail sawing out the area of the break and making a wood piece to fit the gap and glueing and clamping it together.

I've successfully repaired similar breaks on a couple guitars and a couple basses and they've held with no problems later. Having someone do it for you would probably cost more than it's worth. The ones I repaired were on guitars and basses that the owners considered valuable to keep and they were willing to pay for the work.

It's only worth it if you really like the bass otherwise and plan to keep it. It doesn't seem to have pickups and electronics so that's an additional expense.

3. Hi.

While not the first DIY repair experiment IMHO, the crack seems to be clean enough to be repairable by a skilled person without breaking the bank.

I might be totally off, but doesn't the price seem to be a bit high given the condition of the project? What's the normal price of such an Aria ProII in playable condition?

If I had to make a guess, the repair might be a 100 to 150€ and pickups and electronics about the same.

Regards
    Sam