1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebandbmm, May 1, 2010.

1. thebandbmm

thebandbmm

May 1, 2010
    I am trying to put together a new bass rig, playing a SWR Redhead right now but it is kiling me to carry, I am thinkning about putting together an Eden rig.

Here is what I am thinking of trying:
    WTX 500 with a D112XLT Use this for small to medium gigs, for larger gigs add a D210 XLT.

WILL THIS WORK, anyone know.

2. thebandbmm

thebandbmm

May 1, 2010
    or does anyone have a better idea

3. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    It could work. The only way you'll find out whether you're happy is to actually put it together and play through it. Keep your receipts and make returns if you're not pleased.

4. I use an Orange Tiny Terror Bass, and it works well with any combination of cabs. The Orange SP212, the Orange OBC115, the GK Neo212, and even my Boogie 118, all sound good with the Tiny Terror. The fact that it's 500 watts with 4 ohms or 8 ohms makes it a very versatile head. I own lots of different amps, and the Tiny Terror has become my favorite.

5. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    I'm looking at that orange terror too. 4 or 8 ohm switchable is a really nice thing.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    try a bunch of the smaller heads out there and smaller cabs. If the redhead does it for you volume wise you dont need gobs of volume. Don't feel that you have to have the same brand of cabs as your head either.

7. thebandbmm

thebandbmm

May 1, 2010
    Thanks I will ook into the orange terror.

8. i went to a gig once where my buddy was using a single (and very small) Eden 112 w/ an Eden head (forget which one, I think it was before their micro came out) and I was stunned at how much bass filled this fairly sizable room. it wasn't heavy music, but the band had 2 guitars, 3 background singers etc. . .

9. If you are going with that eden package, the min. impedance of the amp is 4ohms. The 112 is 8ohms, but the 210 cab comes in 8 and 4 ohm varieties. You'd want to make sure you got the 8 ohm 210. So that both cabs together have a combined impedance of 4 ohms.

Other options are the Genz Benz shuttle amps and neo speakers, markbass does lightweight stuff too. There are a few other guys out there making ultra light gear too.

10. Again, the 4ohm 8ohm switch on the Orange Terror was a great idea.

11. silvertones

silvertones

Apr 19, 2010
    I used an EVM 15B Series II speaker in a Thiel cabinet I built with EV plans with an SVT head. Nice little rig.

12. I get the impression the OP doesn't want an SVT :p

13. thebandbmm

thebandbmm

May 1, 2010
    I cant find an Orange dealer anywhere near me, as far as SVT, Ampeg tone would be my prefrence for sure.