1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

buying my first bass... HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 12beat, Aug 21, 2012.

1. 12beat

12beat

Aug 21, 2012
    Hello everybody!
    I've been playing guitar for 4 years and now I'm buying my first bass (and an amp also) so, I really need your help to make a good decision...
    I want to spend around 300€ (around 250 £ or 350$). I haven't played any of them yet, but this are the ones that seem pretty nice to me
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/hoefner_ignition_beatles_bass_vsb.htm
    or
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_vint_mod_jazz_3csb.htm

And I'm thinking about buying 'Vox Pathfinder 10 Bass' too.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_pathfinder_10_bass.htm

I just need an amp for home practise, and also for home recording, that's why I think that amp is great. I own a Vox Da-5 guitar amp, and its line out is the greatest thing ever for recording, it sounds even better than the amp itself.

Please, let me know, what do you think about the amp, and the bass guitars? any other alternatives?

I love Beatles music, but I also play a lot of blues music (mainly blues-rock music), some jazz, and also many contemporary singer-songwriters music like jack johnson, john mayer, jason mraz, david gray, damien rice....

Thanks for your help!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Jazz is a lot more versitile than the Hofner, but both are great to have. The shortscale Hofner would be great for you coming from guitar.

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I'd go with the Jazz. Works well with just about any style of music, both sonically and visually.

4. 12beat

12beat

Aug 21, 2012
    I haven't test them yet, I couldn't find any on my local store, I'm going to more shops tomorrow...
    Anyway, I've seem many videos now, and surely the jazz is a more versatile bass, but i think I'll buy the hofner, I'm in love with its sound&look!
    I belive ist more versatile than what most people think. There's no room in funk, slap, punk or metal on it, but it's not only for playing beatles songs (and that means many different music generes)
    I've discovered is great for elvis, r'n'r and rockabilly music, it's hollow, so it's great for songs like every breath you take by the police (sting plays a Double bass).
    Its great for almost any 60's band music (beatles, the who, led zeppeling..), and jack johnson's bassist plays a hofner too, so its great for moder acoustic-rock music.

I still can't tell which one is better for me, both are great

5. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Simply cannot go wrong with a jazz....very versitle

6. The best bass is the one that feels and sounds good when YOU play it. How an instrument looks in photos and sounds in recordings and videos may be completely different than what you come up with when you pick one up in real life. (I learned that the hard way!)

That said, I'm a big fan of Jazz basses; you can get a fitting tone for just about any musical genre out of a decent Jazz. You might also want to look around and see if you can't get a used Mexican-made Fender for the same price as the Squier you're looking at – you'll get better electronics and overall build quality.

Hope that helps!

7. audiophile21

audiophile21

Jan 19, 2010
    Boston
    The problem withe the hofner is that its a one trick pony, you are only going to get one sound out of it and there isn't much you can do with it, the jazz bass is a much better option. However if you are willing to spend a bit more money get a made in mexico fender jazz instead of the squier.

8. 12beat

12beat

Aug 21, 2012
    thanks for your answers!
    and what are your thoughts on the vox pathfinder 10b?
    No one has said nothing about it yet. I've seen so many videos of pathfinder+hofner, and they work great together, and also some pathfiner+squier jazz videos that sounded nice too...
    is it a worth having bass amp for home use?

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Bass amp for home use? Do you mean just for practice in your room or to play with a band? For home you can get a headphone amp or a little combo with a headphone input. I would not play your bass through a guitar amp, the speaker won't take it.

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'd say you're right with Hofner/Vox, 'cause they couple very well and your comfortably rounded intention are already there

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. Tyrion

Tyrion

Aug 11, 2012
    I'd vote for the Jazz bass as well for it's flexibility. I would also take a look at the G&L Tribute line of basses. For the price they are amazing as they carry the same electronics as the american G&L's. I have no experience with Vox amps, however, the Vox Amplug is one of the best $40 I ever spent. Great tone through headphones and an aux line to run an ipod, iphone, whatever you want to start playing along with music. Can't go wrong.

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Jazz Bass would be my choice.

13. 12beat

12beat

Aug 21, 2012
    It's not a guitar amp. It's the bass version of a very popular guitar amp that vox made.
    And I will use it to practise at home, to play along with acoustic guitars, and maybe to record my bass through the amp (if not direct)
    One more question about this amp, could it be used as a head with a cabinet speaker?? I guess that most live-music pubs where I may play in the future will have combos anyway....

14. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

Jul 28, 2012
    For some starter gear Id recommend that Jazz with something like an Ampeg BA108 or BA110 for your amp. Those little Ampegs have headphone outs for late night practicing and RCA jacks so you can hook up a stereo and jam along if you want.

Id avoid that Vox because two 5" speakers will sound overly punchy and get loud on upper mid frequencies and lose volume on low notes.

Im a huge Beatles fan. They played all kinds of different gear not just Gretsch/Ric/Hofner. My favorite Beatles guitar would be George's Stratocaster that was painted all crazy.

I had a Ric 360 and just couldnt do it.

15. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Walk into a guitar shop and play every bass on the wall blindfolded. Go for sound and feel, not look and price.

16. I came from guitar too. I recommend the Jazz. I thought coming from
    guitar a short scale would be a good idea. NOT. I played a couple basses
    and after playing a Jazz I have never looked back. That was 16 years ago.

17. 12beat

12beat

Aug 21, 2012
    I think I'm finally buying the hofner, and posibly later on I'll buy a better jazz bass.
    And I'm going with the ampeg ba-108 too!
    I just got two questions left
    Which strings to use on my hofner bass?
    I've seen a girl on youtube who uses Flatwound Hofner strings, and it sound awsome, but they are not cheap. Is this the better option?
    and also, how often do you change bass strings? I change my guitar strings each two moths, but they are much cheaper, do bass strings have longer life?
    Thank you for all your help!!

18. 12beat

12beat

Aug 21, 2012
    Ok now I've just tested both, and yes, hofner is the winner
    Its absolutely true that the jazz is more versatile, but its much harder to play, it doesn't sound like the hofner (it gets close, but its not that beatle sound) and its very heavy, more than any of my guitars, and my back just couldn't carry that weight.
    Since I love its tone, and I don't hate my back, I think hofner is better for me.

19. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Yay Hofner! Congrats ...

20. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    Flatwound strings will last virtually forever. The older they get, the warmer and softer they sound. They are probably the tone you're looking for, once they're broken in. Get some, put them on, and never change them.

By the way, welcome to the family!