1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying used on TB and making payments?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by catcauphonic, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'm in the market for a particular new (used) cab, which I've found the best deal on right here on TB. The hangup is that i was initially looking to shop a store that would let me make a few payments w/0% interest.

I'm guessing it doesn't happen often, but is it inadvisable or in bad form to see if the seller would accept some sort of deposit to hold it, and another future payment (or 2, max) before shipping it to me?

The seller in particular has a 100% feedback rating on over 200 transactions, so I'm not too concerned on getting the shaft ... but I'd also like to know how to best word a simple agreement in this case to protect us both?

(Edit: Payment in full to the seller was secured using PayPal's 'Bill Me Later' option, as some here suggested ... they gave me $1,000 credit, which includes 0%interest for 6 months on purchases over $99. I'm still interested in reading how others might handle the situation as a seller if asked, so feel free to post.)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. JES

JES Supporting Member

Never hurts to ask!

3. I personally wouldn't want to do it. I only accept payments on gear from close friends. That being said you can use bill me later through paypal and pay it off while the seller is paid in full up front.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Start putting the money in your sock drawer. When you have enough, hit the classified.

gumtown, dlargent, Herrick and 17 others like this.
  5. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Look at it from a seller's point of view. If the buyer has a 0% trade rating, it might be tough to want to try something using a system not tailored to anything other than an all-at-once purchase.

Of course, the worst a seller could do is give a friendly "no, thanks".

BBQisgood likes this.
  6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    if i were going to ask a seller to do that, which i wouldn't, i'd show him/her my 100% positive ebay feedback to demonstrate my reliability. not the same thing, but could be handy.

7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I always accept payments when selling my stuff as long as they buyer agrees to my terms.

1 easy payment for the full amount.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    For what it's worth I would probably not accept that kind of transaction from someone with great feedback. No way I'd accept it from someone with no feedback.

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Usually there are 3 reasons you may sell something on TB Classifieds.

- you are in a cash crunch
    - you don't use the gear much or at all anymore
    - you are a flipper and selling is a revenue stream

Someone with 200+ transactions here is clearly in the 3rd camp. Since buying/selling is a business model for this person, they are likely more open to payments than the members in the other two groups. I think it may be worth asking.

I wouldn't ask anyone to finance a sale that has less than 100 transactions here.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It's hard enough to get even seasoned buyers to close a sale. I can't imagine trying to collect multiple payments.

My answer is always no to that question. No holds. No payments. No deposits.

Double E likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The only way they might bite is something like this - 50% up front, and if you don't pay the balance within x days, they keep the deposit. That makes no sense for you. Just wait til you have saved the funds.

twinjet and Bassman Spiff like this.
  12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Good point. I hesitate to make ANY sale to someone with no feedback.

13. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    What about paypal credit? The seller gets the full amount and the buyer gets 6 months to pay it off.

Herrick, Mertle72, pcake and 3 others like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This would be the quick and easy way.

That being said (here comes my soapbox) it would be fine if you do a CONTRACT! Set terms. Set time limits. Set what happens if either party fails to hold up their end.

I have had nothing but STELLAR experiences with this community. I am skewed to the point that I would probably give it a go if the terms were spelled out.

15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    "Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

sure... why not.. I've done it... send me payments... when paid off.. it's sent.

simple... low risk..

17. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    I did that once. All you have to do is ask. If the seller is not in a hurry to get the funds, I don't see why he can't agree. And I said what you said: "ship after paying in full".
    I can't see how the seller can be harmed, if this is the way you want to do it.

I think you are wrong about the third one. I have 136 positive feedback, 100% rating and all I have to show is two basses and an amp, and only one of the basses came from TB. Don't forget that even when you buy/sell/trade a set of used strings is +1 on your transactions/feedback.

tmw likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Many (or possibly most) won't since financing is a whole separate business from selling gear. But it doesn't hurt to ask. And there's always the Paypal "bill me later" option that others suggested if the seller is not interested.

But to put my tuppence in for a moment - unless you make your living from music or at least have a significant income stream coming in from it - it's usually not wise to finance music gear purchases. You're far better off just saving up.

I've got decent credit lines available to me. As does my SO. But about 15 years ago we made a decision to get out from under interest payments and made the sacrifices needed to get everything paid off. It took time and wasn't easy. But we did and it's probably the smartest move we ever made. We now owe zero on anything. And our only regret was we didn't do it even earlier than we did.

Sometimes you absolutely need to borrow or make payments. That's just the way things are. But for anything other than medical expenses, your home, or a car you need for work (or maybe for a genuine "once in a lifetime" purchase opportunity if you have a secure income) - I think it's crazy to invite the potential misery owing somebody can all too easily lead to. Because stuff happens. And good intentions and a sterling character don't count for much when you owe money.

But that's me. YMMV.

19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Wrong about the 3rd one? Even my opening statement is wrong. :D

Clearly there are far more than three reasons to sell gear. Naturally I was speaking in broad terms, but I think there just might be a kernel of truth in my generalization.

Besides, you are only 2/3's of the way to group 3 ;)

Luke19Boarder and Papalampraina like this.
  20. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    You know what they say. The first step is the hardest. Once you go from 0 to 1 transactions, it's easier to go to 200, than back to 0. :)
    I do agree though that there are some people who make a living off this (not in a bad and sinister way), but TB is a really great community and bad people don't stay here for long anyway.

40Hz likes this.