1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet for low powered head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muddycreek, May 4, 2010.

1. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    So I've got this Marshall head that puts out something like 200W at 4 ohms, but it's here, and it sounds good (and them are loud 80's watts).

I'd like to build a neo cabinet, and I'm comfortable with many of the concerns about building cabinets/speakers. I miss (the sound of, not the weight of) my old Mesa RR215 a bit as well. So, I'm thinking about a 215+mid or 212+mid, but the fEarful Kappalite cabinets seem like a bit of a waste, because I'm not going to use anything like the available power handling. In the past, I've enjoyed the aforementioned MESA, a couple of ACME Low B's, and some other cabs, while thinking the Bag End 410 was a bit thin on the bottom. I don't need extreme lows, but I don't want the boink-only-nothing-below-80 sound some cabinets seem to produce. I do need to sacrifice some real bottom for efficiency.

What do YOU guys think is going to give me the most efficiency at this relatively low wattage? Build a Deltalite 215 with a mid? Scrap it and build a BFM 212? (I'm not enamored of the idea of EQ'ing back in some lows, especially as the Marshall has really strange EQ points) Omni 15?

I'm drawn to a 4 ohm, 2 woofer direct radiator with a mid, for completely illogical reasons, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot just for that.

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'd build an EV TL606 (single 15) or one of the other duel driver cabs, install the right neo's from Eminence and go man go

Not sure which head you have but many of those Marshall SS heads didn't have real hi-fi sounding hi fregs so a mid may not be all that important

I had some 2 rack space all black Marshall from that era that sounded decent with a PV 18 /2-10 cabinet and it sounded good with a Steinberger or Stingray back in the day

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just to understand, 'cause the above is a bit confusing--do you mean that the wattage rating of the fEarful is a lot higher than the 200W of the Marshall, and you don't want to "waste" the difference? If that's right, then don't worry about it. The wattage rating of the cab can be a zillion times higher than the amp, no waste at all. If I got your meaning wrong, can you clarify?

And is (relatively) small size more of a priority for you, or is loudness more of a priority?

4. TL606 doubled into a 215 loaded with Eminence Kappalite 3015's would do you very well no mid needed. Agree with the above, there is no "waste" in a cab that can handle more power than you have to give it! Heck my fuel tank never seems to be over 2/3 and it is very happy.

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    A pair of Basslite S2012s crossed over to a B&C PEV13 mid @ around 900 hz in a 5.2 cubic foot box ought to be about right for 200 watts. I know where your coming from, I use older Peavey 2Ω heads that need efficiency over brute displacement/power handling capability. Other than the 3012LF, the Kappalites are pretty efficient though. Pricier than the basslites, too.

6. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    No, I understand that, but the fEarful cabs (as far as I can tell) trade a little bit of sensitivity for extension and power handling (just by using the 3015LF). I need to be on the other side of the tradeoff. I'd rather give up a little bit of extension for efficiency, which looks like Deltalites (to end up with a 4 ohm cabinet with two woofers).

As to the other questions, loud and reasonable bottom is more important than size and very low extension.

7. nolimitzbass

nolimitzbass

Sep 29, 2009
    You might want to take a look at some of the Bill Fitzmaurice designs.

8. Get two Bag End 15s for tone, bottom, mix well, and light enough to carry, one for small gigs, two for larger or for tone. You won't look back.

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    IMO, your main concern should be getting max sensitivity at 4 ohm. So something with 2x the 8 ohm driver to get to 4 ohm.

My choice would be 2x Jack12, and a EQ Fx. - horn loaded for max sensitivity.

Next choice would be a direct radiating 2x 15". For direct radiating cab, I wouldn't go below 15", because you need the cone area to get the sensitivity.

Omni 15 and the fEarful 15/6 would not be suitable, IMO and as you mentioned yourself; because the redundant extra power capacity, and also because of the 8 ohm load too high to draw max power from your amp.

Unless, you are willing to lug around 2x Omni 15.

Or perhaps 2x BagEnd S15.

10. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    This brings up an interesting point for me that I haven't seen addressed anywhere- the Deltalite 2512 is a hair more sensitive than the 2515, and the 2515 doesn't seem to have enough more extension to make a difference- is it really reasonable to give up a bit of sensitivity to get another 50W power handling? What am I missing? I'm really leaning towards either a direct radiating 12+mid or a BFM Jack212 with the Deltalites at this point (I think it's a driver in the Jack plans, probably should just buy them and see).

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    self build or off the shelf if it was me i'd want some sensitive cabs (provided good frequency response graphs). nothing like using great sounding low efficiency cabs with an amp without the guts to drive them. With the right cabs you could be fine.

12. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'd say BFM all the way. You don't have to dial in bass, you have to dial back mids.

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'd agree - if you want an efficient, good sounding cab, Bill's designs fit the bill. so to speak :D

14. Still prefer A 3015 loaded TL606.

15. I have a Backline 600 head at 300 watts, and it sounds loud with the Basslite c2515 at 4 ohms in a single 115. Every body recomended the 3015, but I didn't think the GK had the power to make full use of the 3015's price.

I put the c2515 in a Backline II 115 cab that I got for $30 because it had a blown speaker. Which turned out to be a broken wire. I think it's about 4 cubic ft and ported.

The specs make the c2515 seem middy. It may have a slight hump, but the lows are stronger than I expected. I can make it lightly fart with boosted lows and 70-80% power and playing a low b. With a flat eq I couldn't get it loud enough to fart with out hurting my neighbors. Compared with my Kustom 810 right next to it, it kinda almost hangs in there. Which is a lot to say, for a fraction of the speaker area and weight. Compared with the original speaker it is louder with more low end available.

I think the Basslite c2515 is a nice fix all speaker for small heads and combos. Eminence recommends it for a lot of combos on their website.