1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can Flats Go Through The Body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CLMSHQ, Jun 21, 2014.

1. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I have been using flats on my P Bass for years. But now I want to put flats on my Jazz.

I have seen posts where they should NOT go through the body... Not sure why...Does it ruin the flats?

Any idea?

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    You don't want a sharp break in the angle of the string with flats, that's why people generally avoid through body with flats.

3. sgiacomo

sgiacomo

Feb 26, 2012
    Tulsa
    Learn something new every day! Is it only certain flats? The reason I ask is that I have chromes through the body on my 07 Fender P bass with no problems. They've been on there a couple of years, maybe just lucky.

4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i've run numerous makers flats thru body on numerous basses for years with ZERO issues

could care less what the " manufacturer's recommendations " are, but most will never even consider crossing the line

fyi,,, back in the 60's Fender was selling many thru body basses,, & they were ALL strung with flats

5. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I have Fender flats running through the body on all of my Fenders, I've had no issues whatsoever.

Didn't the strings run through the body in the early days of Precision basses? Flat wound strings were the only option then.

IGotGas likes this.
  6. I don't know about through body flats, but the string winding on some flats does not play nice with a "Badass" replacement bridge.

IGotGas likes this.
  7. SouthTippBass

SouthTippBass

Jul 22, 2010
    I have a 2010 MIA Fender Jazz with La Bella deep talking flats going through the body. Have had the strings on four years, never had any problem, sounds and feels amazing. Wouldn't put anything else on it now :)

8. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    Labella makes a special set of DTF's that are designed for string through body.

I have run TI's through body for at least 20 years and never had a problem. The only issue is if I take them off they don't sound as good when I have tried to reuse them.

IGotGas likes this.
  9. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Well that pretty much answers that.

Thanks for the quick responses!

10. I've had La Bella 760FL-TB strings on my '95 Precision for almost two years without any issues.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Depends on the flats. Some are made for through-body, some are not. Do homework on the strings and you will be fine.

12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Absolutely, been using TI's [current and longtime favorite], LeBella, Fender, & GHS flats for decades with no problems, ever.

P1250057.
    P1240097.
    P1150298.

13. Edit: ^^nice basses btw!!^^

FWIW I've had the same Roto Swing's on my PBJ for over 6 years w no issues...

14. sqrat51

sqrat51

Nov 21, 2011
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Another two cents worth: GHS Precision Flats on my thru-body Mustang Bass work just fine.

15. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    It can be a problem. I popped a labella DTF E string once going through body. Brand new and right at the break angle. Never had an issue with any others though including the replacement labella they sent me free of charge.

16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    String them either way. If a string can't handle the relatively gentle radius of coming around the saddle, how is it going to handle the sharper bend coming out of the nut? I'd consider such a string defective, not special. The argument seems kind of random on that basis. Do what works best for you.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  17. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    I had a LaBella DTB-FS E string winding come unwrapped at the saddle after about 6 months use. I put a Hipshot aluminum B bridge on so I can play either type of string. Good solution.

18. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I popped a DH .130 roundwound B string at the same point while playing it, so I sent the dead one back at their request so they could examine it and they sent another. Defects are not selective by string type.

19. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Thanks again.

I really like Fender Flats...are there others that are smooth to the touch like Fender Flats that won't cut the hell out of your finger tips?

20. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I'm guessing that's probably more to do with a heavy playing style.? The standard Fender flats are some pretty stiff/high tension flats though. TIs are about the lowest tension and most pliable flats out there, if you want to see what the other side of the spectrum feels like give those a try (I've been playing TIs for many years, I love em). Chromes and GHS are in the middle somewhere. Most LaBella flats are pretty heavy and stiff, more like Fender flats IMO.