1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I get a little P/J love?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Y'know, this is my second P/J and I am really starting to feel the whole P/J thing. You get some thump to go with your growl and a good look to boot!

This one has a Fender Noiseless at the bridge and DiMarzio DP122's at the neck. Add some Elixirs to the mix and she is sounding good and looking like a champ!

Can I get some love?

[​IMG]

Oh, by the way -- this is an SX!

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Love the PJ. I have a Fender P-Special mod/project bass in the works.

3. Anybody who has Miles in his/her avatar can expect some love from me. :smug:

And yes, the P/J looks damn sexy. Mine is a Yamaha BB414 in metallic orange - love the range of sounds I can get from it. One of these days I´ll get me a Fender P/J with a maple fretboard... :cool:

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Nice one, Iota.

For a long time I was GAS-ing hard for a 5-string P/J.

5. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Send that sweet baby my way and I assure you I will magically transform into Barry White.

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

I really like resting my thumb on P pickups (especially reversed ones), and love J bridge tone.

PJ rules. I wish someone made a Reverse P/70's J location bass... perfect bass.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I find the P/J setup to be pretty good at times! I had it on my last fretless, and I liked it in that you could get a nice old school thump from the P pickup but I was kinda irked that I couldn't have a jazz tone at the neck too. Now I'm a humbuckers or jazz bars kinda guy!

Here is a bass which I quite like (and nearly bought) which has a sweet P/J setup. One of the best sounding Warwicks I've ever played! NB The one I nearly bought was blue.

[​IMG]

8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    My Ibanez Roadster 824 (mahogany body/maple FP) has itself lotsa switches... active / passive, and neck/both/bridge.

The bridge on that thing doesn't growl like a jazz, it does this burpy funk thing that sounds like Stevie Wonder on a Hohner D-6. That sound alone makes me want to put down my upright and join a funk wedding band so I can throw that switch to the bridge and step to the front o' the stage!

Haven't strung it with flats yet, though. ANy opinions on PJ plus Flats?

9. A pointy P/J :eek:

I have this one apart right now. The stock pups are out, Dimarzios are going in along with a fresh set of Hybrid Slinky's. It's gonna RAWK :bassist:

[​IMG]

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My 51 re-issue modded to P/J...SD scpb-3 pup at the neck, fender custom shop vintage 60's J pup at the bridge:
    FenderJapanReissues.
    Fenderjapanreissuescu.

11. salzie

salzie

Dec 27, 2005
    NYC
    [​IMG]

Fender non-export AJB-66 body
    Fender USA Precision neck
    BAII

Knobs have since been swapped out.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    mine...

Bartolini NTBT
    Armstrong pups

Attached Files:

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Oh yes!

D_Wilson_P5_015.

14. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    When I finally sell some of my basses and cabs I'm not using I'll definitely be dropping some cash on a P/J!

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Something I'm ordering this coming year............
    Ash Body routed with 70's J-pup, single coil.....
    5string Maple neck with Braz Rosewood fretboard, 21frets
    Black Pearl finish, matching headstock, tort guard......
    Oh, and it will say Sadowsky on the headstock!!!!

16. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    My fav post title P/J

PJ4M.
    48w24rc.

17. how bad is the neck dive on that? i have a jackson kelly that must have a 75lb headstock because it drops like a rock.

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I'm lovin this P/J. Especially with sadowsky flats!

PDR_0287.

19. It's really not that bad. Not nearly like some of the BCR's I've had over the years. It's very light and no matter how I play it, my arm/elbow rests on the body wing. It's got an awesome neck and action, I never even notice any neck dive.