1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I keep my endpin tightened?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by geekydel, Apr 11, 2006.

1. geekydel

geekydel

Apr 11, 2006
    I just had my endpin replaced, and I'm trying to avoid spending any more money on it in the near future. Can I keep it tightened up all the time, or will this damage it somehow? Its a smooth, tubular endpin (no ridges).

Cheers

Del

2. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I wouldn't leave it tightened while it was extended. That could not only bend your endpin, but possibly even crack the wood around your endpin plug. However if you play with the endpin detracted, you shouldn't need to worry.
    I hope this helps, I'm a little bad at disribing things sometimes. :smug:

3. geekydel

geekydel

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheers Farin, thanks for advice

4. I also use a tubular(the installer said it's aluminum but I'm reasonably sure it's stainless steel)end pin. I keep my bass out, on a stand, w/the end pin extended & tightened. In slightly less than a year, I've noticed no problems. I retract the end pin a bit less frequently than weekly, to transport it to evening church services. Last Sunday night I had the end pin completely out of the bass, & it looked fine.