1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you guys recommend me a combo amp under $500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by turtlegrubs, Jan 19, 2012.

1. turtlegrubs

turtlegrubs

Jan 8, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm currently in middleschool and I need a new amp thats preferably 400-500 watts, but under $500.

We currently have a bassist, gutiarist, singer, and we're looking for a drummer

2. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    400-500 watts is alotta fire power for a combo. Some combos in your price range I'd look at are

Fender Rumble
    Hartke Kickback or Hydrive series
    Ampeg BA115
    Acoustic B200

Honestly I think anything over 200 watts should give you plenty of volume for most situations. Good luck!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What's a middle school kid doing up at 4:30 EST? Go to bed!

4. GK MB112. Just got one of these for Christmas, $339 new. Try to find one used if you can, chops about $100 off that price. Very nice 200 watt combo with some straight-forward features, and much lighter weight than most amps in this price/power range. I did about a good year of research before going after this amp, and I couldn't be happier :bassist:

If you wanna spend a little more, the 500 watt GK 210 is a great option too (they'll run you $350-$450 used)

The other options BillyIVbass suggested are great contenders too. If I didn't get the GK, I was gonna probably go with the Acoustic B200. The Fender Rumbles have good set of basic features (including a decent sounding overdrive setting if that's your thing).

5. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Depends on how loud you play. I play a Kickback 15 (120W) and I've yet to encounter a situation where it won't be sufficient. 200W is certainly enough for a typical 2x10 or 1x15 configuration. Pay more attention to the speakers.

I strongly suggest getting one with a wedge shape. You'll be able to hear yourself so much better.

6. Why a combo specifically? If you want power, are concerned with size, and are on a budget, then shop used. There is a whole slew of new gear being announced, and that is good news for you. Not because you want to be looking at the new gear, but the used stuff that will be getting sold to fund new stuff. I bed you will be able to pick up a decent micro head and a 210 neo cab in a little while that will sound great and be in your budget. The real point of staying away from that combo, is some day you will most likely need more, and you can just add another 210 cab.

7. xed

xed

Dec 8, 2007
    Coastal NC, USA
    Here's what I would do. Pick up a good used Peavey TNT 115. You should be able to find one in a pawn shop or craigslist. That should cost you less than half your budget. Then try it out and if you still need a little more volume then grab another TNT 115. You'll have the convenience of a more portable system since you can take 1 or both and you'll be able to get crazy loud if needed. You should also come in under budget and you can always offload a Peavey TNT 115 at a later time and be able to get out of it what you had put in.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Carvin. Even better yet, used Carvin.

Carvin amps kick serious butt, but they don't seem to get no love.......

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    The Brown Curtain likes this.
  10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Forget the drummer, they're nothing but trouble!:D

11. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I always think I should get one of these. Every time I play one in a GC or other store I get very close to plunking down the bucks. The thing is loud and boomy!

12. You maybe over thinking the wattage a little you are not going to need a 400-500 watt combo amp unless you are planning on playing outside every gig? 300 watts is more than enough head room you will find many in your price range at this wattage. 400-500 watt combos new for under 500.00 I haven't seen myself?

13. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I'm Pro-Peavey but the thought of lugging two of them around...OUCH! Maybe they've shaved weight since my 45 watt TNT I bought in the late '70's, it weighed about 80 pounds!

Just sayin'
    X8

14. 300 watts is overkill. Not many people sit in a room with a STV and 810 rig cranked and go, "dang I cant hear that guy playing bass..."

Any amp 300+ watts or so will be powerful enough, just have to have speakers to be loud enough.

15. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    He could be an early riser. :confused:

Anyways, GK MB210 can be had for under $500 used, or close to it new if you find good deals and/or coupons.

16. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    GK MB Combo......

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I like the Carvin MB15 and MB210 for the simple fact you can add an extension to them for a gig-able 250w stack. By themselves they’re plenty for small gigs/rehearsals. They sound great and have loads of EQ and DI options too, better than anything in their price range. For a few bucks more though you can get a 4 ohm Carvin BR115 with a BX250 head. This is gig-able while only hauling one cab, although it won’t produce quite as much volume/clarity as the combo with an extension.

18. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Another vote for GK. They're NEO combos are very nice and loud for a good price.

19. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    Yep, Carvin. I prefer the MB-12 over the MB-15; although I did get the 115MB extension cab for more volume. I haven't tried the MB-210 but would love to.

20. I have a GK MB112, and personally, they're great for the weight, sound, and power. 200 watts, $339 new ($240 or so used) should do you just fine.