Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cant get a sound from Garage Band.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingrayz, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Hi guys,

I recently bought the new Imac Intel... But i cant record my bass or any live instrument, i cant switch the input to the Inline in GB, I can do it in the sound prefrences, but not on GB, It seems to be recording from the Mic, so you cant hear any bass but the damn metronome...

i dont know which input to switch to on GB, it says 1, or 2, or both... i need help trying to get it to record from the input..

Much Appreciated

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    do you have Monitor turned on?

3. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Yes I do

Plus when i record, all i can hear is the metronome, i think its recording from the mic, i dont know how to change the settings on GB, but changed it on prefrences

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    oh wait, i didnt read that close enough. check your Audio/Midi Setup under Applications>Utilities in Finder.

you might want to poke around in there. can you hear anything at all when the bass is plugged in?

5. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    nothing at all... but the sound check from prefrefrences can find a signal, but no sound

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  7. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Stingrayz - I've got the same problem on my new iMac. I've got Apple tech support working on it. Thr input set-up under preferences registers that there is a signal from the bass (also having the same problem w/ a Yamaha keyboard), but there is no sound and GB is not picking it up. Same thing you noted - there is no "line" option showing up for output/input. The tech had this on his machine, and is not sure why it is not on mine.

I'll let you know what they tell me.

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    try this:

In the "preferences" folder within the "Library" folder, there are two files. One is "com.apple.garageband.cs" and the other is "com.apple.garageband.plist". Move them both to your desktop.

and then reboot the computer.

then try it again.

let me know if that works.

9. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i was coming across the same problem as well, so i just bought a MIDI interface. now the recording quality is GREAT.

10. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Hmm I tried moving the files to desktop then re booting, nothing happened =/

Also what is an MIDI Interface ? and where can i get them ? ( also im using a mac if that makes a difference)

Thanks all

11. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    well, i use my PreSonus FIREBOX interface as a means to modulate and amplify my bass. i run a cable from my bass, to my Digtiech BP200, and then to the FIREBOX. from there, i simply use a firewire cable to connect it to my computer.

essentially, for me, it increases the quality of my recording TREMENDOUSLY.

anyways, you can pick one up at Guitar Center, or musiciansfriend.com...to name a couple. oh, and i'm using a mac too, it makes no difference.;)

12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Hey Sting,
    I have an Intel Core Duo IMac and Garageband.
    Here's the problem. This operating system and processor are brand f'ing new. They don't have the kinks worked out in the drivers yet.

I bought a M-audio Firewire 410 interface to plug my bass into the system. Your are supposed to get full routing and mixing capabilities from this unit as well as D/A conversion (digital to analog). About one feature in 12 is operating. I don't think any other interface manufacturer have them talking to this processer correctly yet.

This is the price to pay for being the first on the block to have a new processor. They are all working this (M-audio, Apple, Presonus, Emu) It will be a couple of months.

Pain in the butt!!!

13. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Stingrayz - I think I've got it working. Can't really explain how - but after a few calls w/ tech support and a few emails, it worked today.

I need to look into it further, cause I really did not do anything different today (that I know of), but was able to get the output sound.

There was a setting under GB preferences regarding midi/output, and I had both options for output - mic and line out. Didn't have both options before.

I'll keep you posted.

14. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    cool man, keep me posted =p