1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Car Subwoofer for a Low-End Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ccarson26, Apr 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ccarson26

Ccarson26

Jan 24, 2012
    Reno Nevada
    Hey guys, looking to get some information on using a car subwoofer to fill in the low-end on my bass rig.. What driver would you use and why?

Cheers,

FenderB likes this.
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Are you planning to practice or rehearse in your car?

legalbass likes this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    None. Get a real bass cab.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Ya know how crappy the car next to you sounds when the subs are overdriven? Your bass would rip them to shreds.

5. Sub = crud, IMHO.:vomit:

6. Ccarson26

Ccarson26

Jan 24, 2012
    Reno Nevada
    Nope

7. Ccarson26

Ccarson26

Jan 24, 2012
    Reno Nevada
    I have several real bass cabs..

Cabs.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Ccarson26

Ccarson26

Jan 24, 2012
    Reno Nevada
    Why are they crud?

9. Ccarson26

Ccarson26

Jan 24, 2012
    Reno Nevada
    If you limit the freq to say 80 Hz and below, how would a bass guitar signal "rip them to shreds"?

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A car woofer won't help.

11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    You’re probably right. Won’t hurt anyone if you try it. I say go for it.

12. Low Down Brown

Low Down Brown

Jan 8, 2018
    Erf
    I used an old beat up TKO 115 loaded with a Kicker 15" I had laying around for several years as a practice amp. I sounded surprisingly good for what it was. Got plenty loud too. May not be ideal, but hey, it worked.

Lenny JG and MarMar like this.
  13. roborend

roborend Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Rock Island Illinois
    A bass @ <80 hz would probably be difficult to even distinguish pitch.

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    If you are looking to build a true bi-amped bass rig a car audio sub probably won't spec out well mechanically. IMO you may want to look at a PA sub.

stretch80 likes this.
  15. Ccarson26

Ccarson26

Jan 24, 2012
    Reno Nevada
    Yes I have looked at all PA subs.. Not very impressive.. The quality Home Theater subs are much better sounding.. and those drivers are similar the large car audio subs.. Hence my original question..

16. Ccarson26

Ccarson26

Jan 24, 2012
    Reno Nevada
    This is not true at all.

AlexanderB likes this.
  17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If you like the tone, go for it. It's not a tone that I would want but we all have different tastes.

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    PA subs are designed for "live" sound. Home audio gear is not. Application is relevant here. May I ask what you are trying to achieve?

3bc and legalbass like this.
  19. ChaseBassism

ChaseBassism

May 17, 2019
    a subwoofer's frequency range is often about 20hz-200hz, while bass guitar freq range is between 40hz and 4khz. So that u will lose much of trebble and mid using subwoofer

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Your PR410HLF are already rated -3dB to 33hz and -10dB to 29hz.
    Sensitivity is 96dB.

AFAIK Car subs generally rely on cabin gain to get anywhere close to these specs, unless you get into pretty esoteric stuff. In other words, most car stuff will not match the efficiency or extension of these cabs in half space.

If you are really into deep bass, just get another pair of PR410HLFs. Four PR410HLFs and an amp that powers them well should totally pound. If that's not enough, double up and get four more.

My interpretation of the specs is once they start rolling off, the response drops like a brick. That also probably means the drivers unload and start jumping around without any sort of control. I would highly suggest that you run a HPF around 32hz or so to protect the drivers.

You're probably not going to make a lot of friends putting out such massive lows, but as long as your happy, right :eek:? You've been sort of warned of the likely consequences, but you are certainly free to learn from you own experiences, instead of the mistake of others :rolleyes:.

Good luck :woot:!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.