1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gotmule?, Jul 20, 2008.

1. gotmule?

gotmule?

Apr 24, 2008
    I have been looking at Carvin bass amps and some of them are in my price range. Unfortunately, I have no way of trying them out since I live in NJ. Does anyone hear use Carvin? Are they versatile? Any opinions on them? I am trying to get a jazz sound similar to Chris Wood but I'm on a tight budget. Any other suggestions as far as amps to get this sound would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

P.S.- The most I can spend is about $600 and I need about 175-200 watts.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Some Carvin amps are very highly regarded here. The DCM power amps, the B1500 head, and the LS1503 PA cabinets in particular get a lot of respect. Try searching here on the specific model numbers you're interested in, I bet you'll find some threads about them.

3. https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR615

I think that would be your best bet from Carvin. It has the BX600 head, and though I think it only puts out 225 watts through the mounted speaker(8-ohms), it's capable of making 600 with more cabs. That plus a 210 or 212 later on makes a really nice portable rig.

You can also take out the head and use it with other cabs..

It is a solid state, and very clear sounding...like Hartke or Peavey.(which is a very good thing in my book) It does not sound like an Ampeg, so if you're looking for a tube sound you might want to go elsewhere.

4. at first ididnt like the amp to much eq on it and didnt have the sound i wanted. but ive been giging with it one to 2times a week since ive had it and ive had it about 6or7momths now and ive had it max, it comes with carvin best 15in speaker rated at 600 watts but the amp its self only puts out 400 but if you add more speakers you can get 600 watts the speaker in it is a 4ohm speaker after breaking the speaker in i guess iam really liking this amp we play almost max all the time with a 15 jbl cab for the drummer to hear and it keeps on cooking night after night so far. it made here in the usa and its not cost you an arm are leg to buy it, i payed 569 bucks for mine we bought this after we fried my buddys swr working mans amp and blew a speaker in the other. so far it s been great.

5. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I recently got the SBR1015 and it is awesome. It is more watts and $ than you're looking for, but it is a great deal.

+1 to what Mutant Corn said based on your needs and budget.

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I've never had one but have read numerous positive posts on this site. Seems to be a lot of amp for the money. The newer models are the ones with the positive comments. This one especially seems to be liked and has caught my interest. I tend to like amps that down to 2 ohms.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX600

7. We have a couple of local guys using them and they have been road worthy. Very reliable. I have been concerned about warranty issues since you do not get local support but I hear the factory will jump through hoops to take care of any problems you have. Being a "Made In The USA" company gets the thumbs up from me to.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've played the same Carvin rig since the early or mid '90's. Never had a lick of trouble with it, and I've had other bass players tell me that the tone is awesome.

I think that Carvin is a whole lot better than other amps in the same price range. You can get better stuff for more money, but I guess it's all about what you want.

9. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    I've had two Carvin amps over the years, a Cyclops and a Pro Bass with a 2X15 Cabinet. Their customer service ranged from above & beyond (first amp) to ***?!?!?! (Cyclops). I won't order anything from them ever again as ***?!?!?! trumps above & beyond.

10. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I live very close to the Santa Ana, CA store and I visit regularly... But everytime I come out dissapointed by their amps until I went to a GTG over at Jorg Schroeder's place and heard a Carvin head through a Schroeder cab. Now I realize my dissatisfaction comes from their cabs. I think you'll be ok with a Carvin head just get a Schroeder cab or something better. IMHO.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Until recently, I had the very same opinion of Carvin cabs, i.e. the ProBass, the Redline, etc. But I've read so many positive reviews of the BRX line of cabs, that I'm convinced they're a major improvement.

Would you happen to recall the model(s) of Carvin cabs you were using?

MM

12. My SBR1018 is more than enough amp that I'll ever use. I've had this one for 2 yrs. and have never had a single issue with it; I play almost every weekend. Most of my indoor gigs, I just use the 4x10 and for outdoors, obviously I use the whole rig. It took some time to dial in the eq, but thru any of my basses this thing will rock the stuff off of walls.:smug:
    100_2077.jpg

13. I've used the Carvin B1500 with a Schroeder 1212R Cab on over 400 gigs. I wouldn't change a thing.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021