1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Case Vs. Gig Bag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by saxnbass, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Gig Bag

29 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Hard Case

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    If this has been covered already, sorry, please link me to the thread. Thanks

I was wondering what everyone prefers. What are the pros and cons of each? We all know that gig bags offer less protection, but is easier and lighter to carry around. Cases offer more protection, but are bigger and heavier.

2. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    The only use a gig bag has to me is a dust cover....

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I haven't used a hard case since 1986. Is your instrument vulnerable in a gig bag? Sure, so are your hands. Just be careful to keep your hands from getting damaged and do the same with your bass. Now, if I'm flying I'll used a flight case of course, but as soon as I'm back to my room or whatever, it's gig bag time again.

4. Gig bags for rehearsals and stuff - if I were going out on tour or and major gig then Hard case (I can't drive, so walk and bus around quite a lot - a hard case can get VERY heavy VERY fast...!)

5. If I am transporting my own equipment myself then I'll use a bag. If I have to entrust it to anyone else, even close friends, and a wall of speakers in the back of a van/truck then it will only be allowed to travel in a hard case.

I have 5 basses - 2 bags and 2 cases - I only travel with 2 at the most at any one time.

Personally, i like to have the choice to travel light or safe depending which one is more important at the time.

6. I would prefer a hsc but my gear is fairly inexpensive, I can't really justify a 120$ case for a 200$ bass

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Up until recently, I have been a hard case guy, and nothing else. However, the Incase Gig Bags/Case had me really looking hard at it. I ended up buying one, and I'm officially a convert. This bag is better than any hard case I've seen or used yet. Also, sadowsky has just come out with a bag that looks suspiciously like an incase slim bag, but with some upgraded features. Check those out!

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Gig Bag:
    backpack or over-the-shoulder
    lighter
    more stuff can cram in
    easier to put in car
    doesn't ding walls, doors, door frames
    MAKES me more careful
    fold/roll up for storage

9. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I've been looking and considering one of those Sadowsky bags. Why do you say it's better than any hard case (that you've used)?

10. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I use the Access Stage 5 bag. Highly reccommended!

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    hard cases all the way.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

They seem to offer the same amount of protection, if not more, and they are tons more portable. I love being able to sling it over a shoulder. You can't do that with any hard cases I've ever seen, and this bag/case protects just as well!

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I usually travel with two basses so they're in a double bag. Every bass I own has it's own hard case for storage and transportation, but for one or two bass gigs, they're in a bag.

So the answer is both.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

The past few years it has pretty much been all hard case traveling but my first few years were all gig bag.

15. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    How does this bag protect just as well, if not better, than hard case?

16. I have only used gig-bags so far. However Im thinking about buying a hard case for when we travel by car to gigs far away and such. It gives my instrument more protection. When Im just carrying it around Im taking it easy so I dont feel the need for a hard case but when traveling it could be good.

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    My gear is cheap ($140 SX and $400 Dean fretless) and I don't go anywhere except to my instructor's house and back, so I only use a gig bag for now.

If I ever have to do anything else, I'll probably buy a hard case.

I bought one for my sister's acoustic when she was taking a guitar class at school. She said it was a good thing she had it, because she kept banging into stuff.

18. A light hard case doesn't weigh much more than a gig bag, and provides more protection, so I use a hard case.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Around town and for rehearsals I'll usually use a gig bag. If we're loading up the van and hitting the road, I use a hard case. There's too much that can happen in the trailer for me to be comfortable with a soft case!

If I had my druthers, my bass would ride sitting the seat next to me, but space is usually an issue so back it goes. :meh:

20. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    Gig bags are ok for short drives in a vehicle.

However for long drives in the back of the truck or any place where stuff gets stacked, hard shell. SKB makes some hard shells that fit most brands....less than $100. I just feel safer at the venue...load ins and outs.