Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CB Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Anyone have any experience/opinions on these basses.

....they look awesome, and not too expensive.

CB Basses

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    They look nice. I like the wooden bridge.

No personal info or even a location given, though. Most small luthiers provide something like that to give a internet-surfing potential customer a little more "feel" for the business.

3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
  4. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'm also interested in this one:
    [​IMG] because it says it has a concave back of neck, which I've often thought about as a possibility.
    [​IMG]

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    The CB basses look pretty cool, especially the wooden bridges that are fashioned like a standard metal bridge.
    I'm curious though what the point of a concave neck would be...would it work as almost like a "trench" in the middle of the neck to set your thumb?

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Well, that's what my idea of it is, anyway. I can't say about CB's. My idea is that, for example, if you're pressing on the fretboard at the G string (on a four-stringer), a concave back would mean that the place your thumb contacts the back would be directed toward the fretboard contact point. And having a concave-curved back to match the round of your thumb might be comfortable. But I've never tried an instrument like this to actually know.

There was a bass on ebay a few months ago with a narrow grove up the middle of the neck, but the woodwork of the instrument was so wild that noone took it seriously and there was no discussion of that feature.

The CB appears to have more of what i was thinkink of, a more gentle curve across the whole back.

The only other thing I have seen that is close to this is one of the BassLab optional shapes, which is pretty much dead flat across the back.

7. It does say he's in Florida. I agree his website needs more flesh on the bones. But he's probably trying to keep down his expenses.

8. You can always email him with your questions........

cliff@cbbasses.com

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. He doesn't list a phone number, which makes me think he's working out of his home. That's o.k., a lot of these guys are struggling to make it.

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    They guy seems real responsive to email questions, though he has a some email block on his system that throughs the email back to you to before he gets it. Chris (I believe that is what is first name is) answered everything I asked about the bass that was on ebay.

They look well constructed, but the photos.

11. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    That wood bridge kicks ass! I wonder if he would sell it seperatley.

12. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    should have read...
    They look well constructed by the photos

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    wow, i really like these.

a lot!!!

really fair pricing too.

f

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I'm picking up a warwick vibe from the body shape minus the upper horn, and same with the pickup placement on that one pjones posted. Also, the lack of fingerboard dots and arrangement of some of the controls.....etc. etc.

Other than that they look unique; nice.

15. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Wow I like those basses.

16. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    I love those basses! Oh wait, maybe it's because I own a CB 5-string single cutaway.

T.

17. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    A Talkbass member emailed me and informed me of this thread. Thank you everyone, for all the nice comments.
    I have updated my contact page with more information, and I will post some in progress
    pictures here later.

Thanks everyone,

Cliff

18. If I see ONE more exagerated top horn ala Thompson, Eshenbaugh, or CB, I think I'm gonna puke!:rolleyes:

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    he has to be really close to me..407 area code thats my area code..hmmm

visit?

steve

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, these are really sweet...i especially like the attention to detail shown in this pic:

[​IMG]

i wonder how these puppies sound? they look really well made...