1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chain signal help needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Greg_S, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Greg_S

Greg_S Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Colorado
    I have the following pedals and I'm not sure what order the signal should travel:

1 - Korg Pitchback Tuner
    2 - Boss Bass Limiter Enhancer
    3 - SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    4 - EBS OctaBass octave divider
    5 - EBS UniChorus
    6 - EBS MultiComp Compressor

Any help with the chain would be really appreciated. Thanks!

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I'd do:

Tuner
    MultiComp
    Octave
    Chorus

not sure about the other 2.... I've had a love/hate relationship with compressors as I hate my dynamics being messed with... But a little compressor set well can go a long way for certain styles.

3. Seathal

Seathal

Jan 20, 2011
    Best advice. Try it yourself, you may come to alternative settings that are suitable for you, or sutable for some of the tones you want to try. Only general rule seems to be tuner comes in first, so it can track the freuqnecies without alterations. Apart from that it's all up to your personal preferences and your creativity.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Experimentation is excellent advice! But nothing wrong with a blueprint for a starting point either :)

5. Seathal

Seathal

Jan 20, 2011
    Yes, Int hat chase the chain you gave is perfectly valid. I'd also try the compression at the end, see which one you prefer and switching the octave and chorus could also be valid.

You normally want the compression at the begining so the effect acts over the compressed signal, or the contrary. At the end the compression acts over the effected signals making for a different feel. Just try it yourself to see what I mean :)

6. I put the Multicomp after my ocatve to control the overall volume. I've tried it several places and this seems to work best for me. The sound guy likes it to because he doesn't have to ride my gain.

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    With my octave pedal (MXR), I've always had the best results with the compressor before the octave pedal.

Actually I could use some advice too:

What is your preference, settings, reasons, etc for placement of your VT and MXR compressor (or other comp) pedals?

Right now my pedals are:

Micro Thumpinator ->MXR M87 Comp -> VT Bass (first one) ->MXR Octave ->VT Bass (2nd, for fuzz)

A lot of time I just use the MXR and 1 VT.

Thanks!

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Sansamp last so you can use the DI :)

9. Greg_S

Greg_S Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks for all the help guys. Have been trying different config's as you suggest. Was afraid that if one was in the wrong part of the chain that something would break, but hasn't been the case.

10. brett25

brett25

Aug 9, 2011
    oakland, ca
    nah pretty hard to do with levels and chain order...., wrong voltage can break things though!

Im currently experimenting with EBS multi comp-----Sansamp DI-----tube distortion----

if i were live then switch sansamp around..

funny thing is it also sounds good with comp at end after distortion.....

its really up to your ears no rules..

11. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Some more nfo about your rig, and the sound you're gong for, and what you use the pedals forwould help, but in the meantime, I'd suggest trying this:

Octave
    Chorus
    Sansamp
    Tuner
    Comp or Limiter (not sure I understand the need for both)

-JV

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021