Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Challenging Songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spaZm0lytik, Mar 4, 2006.

1. spaZm0lytik

spaZm0lytik

Mar 4, 2006
    I usually play bass when i have nothing to do... so I play it a lot... do you guys know any songs that would be challenging or something? Something fast or fun to play... you know? I'm up for any genre of music

2. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Just to get an idea of your skill level - what songs can you already play well? How long have you been playing bass? Do you read music?

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    "Spain" by Return to Forever.

4. BassinJay

BassinJay

Jan 30, 2006
    N.I.B by Black Sabbath has a super sweet solo I can't quite play yet. You may be able to learn it quick.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    "Honky Tonk Blues" by Hank Williams. Simple bass line... BUT ...Hank stretches a couple of the words so you have to finesse the timing to get it to work.

So the line is easy, but the timing is hard if you want to keep that simple root/fifth feel. At least IMHO.

6. +1. If you are looking for challenging songs from (many) people on this board who are quite skilled, this shouldn't be too much of a challenge, however I think this solo (titled Bassically) has room to grow. I learnt it about a year ago, but to keep things interesting I played it faster, different accents and changed it up. So the skill can be what you make it. Primus covers the song/solo, and it sounds harder, but I dislike it heavily, but hey I'm mainly into Black Sabbath, not Primus. So check out both.

7. BassinJay

BassinJay

Jan 30, 2006
    Also look at some Primus songs. Most of them are very complicated. Some songs I like: Kalamazoo, DMV(difficult song), Fish on (fun song to play at any time), My Name Is Mud.

8. I have to play that tune for a local ensemble.

It's a lot of fun to play, but then again that's Clarke for you.

9. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Try some Jamerson lines like
    I was made to love her - Stevie Wonder
    Bernadette - The Four Tops
    What's Going On -Marvin Gaye
    I'm Wondering - Stevie Wonder
    Home Cookin' - Jr. Walker and the All Stars

If you can pull that last one off I'd be amazed. Jamerson does some crazy stuff there.

10. spaZm0lytik

spaZm0lytik

Mar 4, 2006
    I've been playing bass about 2 years... but guitar for 7... I play mostly metal, I can play Damage Inc. and Four Horsemen by Metallica, Mouth for War and Domination by Pantera, Raining Blood and Mandatory Suicide by Slayer... I can play the Cliff Burton Bass solo (Anesthesia) also

11. Try Bombshell by Operation Ivy. It's not too complicated, but the way it's played and speed make a good warmup for all of your fingers.

12. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    A fun song to learn and very quick and heavy would be "Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo" by Rick Derringer.

I just heard this song the other day and it would be a challenge for me to learn note for note, your results may vary.

13. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Ok, so if you can read music, I'd recommend you try a few Yes and Rush tunes some of which have sheet music readily obtainable.

From Yes:
    - Heart of the Sunrise
    - Siberian Khatru
    - Tempus Fugit

Sheet music for these three is available from Chris Squire's website - http://chrissquire.com/ - there's also mp3s of each of these song's bass lines so you can hear just the bass.

From Rush (there are many, but here's a few):
    - Tom Sawyer
    - Red Barchetta
    - Distant Early Warning
    - Limelight
    - Freewill
    - Closer to the Heart
    - Where's My Thing?

Sheet music for all of these Rush tunes is avaialble at:
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gibau/download score/Rush.htm

If you don't read music, I'm sure you can find tab for some or all of these but it probably won't be nearly as good as the sheet music. Hope this helps

14. BassinJay

BassinJay

Jan 30, 2006
    Dude all these songs are the top of my list for each band you listed. Good musical Taste.:bassist:

15. BassinJay

BassinJay

Jan 30, 2006

Rock and Rool Hoochie Koo is a killer song. Rick Derringer is the man!

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    La Villa Strangiato- Rush

:bassist: :bassist:

-Mark

17. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    Teen Town, School Days, Classical Thump or any thing eles jaco stanley or wooten

18. Try Big Money buy Rush from Power Windows, it's a killer groove and has a small bass solo.

19. Try some Tool songs like Schism, H., 46 and 2, Parabola, Hush and Part of Me.

20. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Yea thats a good bass line, I had to learn it from reading from music then perform it in a band at uni, All in a WEEK!!

Also try learning Roundabout by Yes. I also had to learn that from music then perfom it in a week. Good bass line