1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing the title of a thread... MORE ISSUES

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by rhythmchanges, Jun 7, 2007.

1. rhythmchanges

rhythmchanges

May 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Hi all,
    I've seen people have threads that say things like "NOW REDUCED PRICE", but I haven't figured out how to change the thread title. I can edit posts fine, but I want to change the actual thread title. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    -R

2. rhythmchanges

rhythmchanges

May 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Hmmm.... should I assume this is impossible?

3. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    I was wondering the same thing when i lowered the price of my eden...........maybe i didnt donate enough money lol:ninja:

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Edit the first post of the thread, click 'go advanced' and then edit the title of the post in the 'title' field above the post box. This should change the thread title. For me, I can double-click the thread title in the forum's threadlist, and it makes it editable - not sure if regular users have this permission though :)

5. rhythmchanges

rhythmchanges

May 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks for replying. I had tried to do the advanced thing before and it didn't seem to work, but I just tried again and it did. Hmmm... I'm going to go with user error <failure to refresh> ftw. Thanks for your time Paul.

BTW - When I double click on the title in the thread, if gives me about a 1/4 of a second to change it, but then moves on to the actual thread. Not that it matters since I can change it internally... just thought you might want to know.

6. rhythmchanges

rhythmchanges

May 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Okay... just tried this in the classified forums and it only changed the title within the thread (small, bold print at the beginning of the post.) It worked in this part of the forum, but not here. *sigh*

7. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Try double clicking the white space, to the right of the thread title (not on the actual title itself)

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm having similar issues. I've gone into Advanced and changed the thread title, which successfully changed it in the thread but didn't affect the title in the For Sale forum.

I also tried refreshing that page, logging out of TB and back in, cleaning up my cookies and logging in again, and none of those things helped either. I did that on two of my home computers and neither showed the modified thread title in the forum.

When I double clicked on the thread title it just took me into the thread itself. When I double clicked on the white space next to the title nothing happens.

Maybe it's a setting buried deep in the options? I know it's possible, but I'm at a loss.

Any other suggestions? :help:

:)

9. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    There is a 24-hour limit on editing a thread title - after that you can edit the title of the post but not the thread. I wish it were longer in Classifieds but unfortunately VBulletin only provides for a forum-wide setting.

The only thing I can suggest is that you delete your current ad and then put up a new with the revised title/pricing/etc. You can delete the ad by editing, then deleting, your first post.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Thanks for following up on that, Paul. I'll have to remember that the next time I put something up for sale.

I guess the other option is to just start off with a price that's so rediculously low the item sells in the first hour and there's no need to have to worry about lowering the price...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, then again maybe not. :D

11. Does anyone know when this "24 hour limit" started? Because I am having the same problem with editing the title in the classifieds section. The title within the thread will change, but the actual thread title won't change. Just a few months back, I used to go and lower the price, or change the title many times without any problems whatsoever in the classifieds. Now, I'll have to delete the thread just to put a lower price? It doesn't make sense, why would they have changed this option within the last few months? Was it posted anywhere when/why they changed to the 24 hour limit? Any help would be appreciated.

12. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    If I remember right we changed the time limit to 24 hours, when we changed thread deletion permissions.

If there is no limit a user can at any time go back and change the thread title in any forum. Several months ago we determined that at a certain point a thread is no longer the sole property of the original poster (OP), but is rather collectively owned by all the people who have invested time and effort into contributing material to the thread. Consequently, the OP shouldn't have the ability to wipe out everyone else's posts by deleting the thread. The point here is that if the OP can go in and change the thread title from "What's the best way to do x y z" to "Screw this, delete me", it has almost the same effect as a thread wipe as the thread is 'unsearchable' and meaningless.

If only we could change the setting for Classifieds only - unfortunately with this forum software that's not an option.

I might suggest putting all pricing and other dynamic info into the first post - posts can be edited up to 2 months...

13. Interesting, thanks for taking the time out to explain all of that information. It makes complete sense. I just had to recently delete a classifieds ad(because I couldn't change the title), but felt bad because I did't like deleting other people's posts. Thanks again Paul.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021