Changing Tuning Machines

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jlattuada, Nov 14, 2004.

1. jlattuada

Apr 25, 2001
    Richmond, Va
    I currently have german plate machines on my bass. I am interested in having these changed to Irving Sloane machines.

Is this a major undertaking for a luthier? What should I expect to pay for this above the cost of the tuning machines?

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    This can often be a fairly easy job in which you might expect to pay 150 to 200 or so over the cost of the machines. But it can also open up a can of worms or nest of hornets. Sometimes holes need to be rebushed and relocated. New wood may need to be added and srew holes will need to be filled. Their may also be difficult retouching in the cosmetic dept. So depending on the variables I would expect to see a range of 550 to 850 on cost here. BTW Gage charges the same price to a luthier as he does you walking off the street. Not a commentary on David[cool] just that it costs big bucks to make these gears and there is minimal profit in it.
  3. Just curious, jlattuada -- why do you want to change the tuning machines?

-- John Greitzer
  4. contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    I want to change my German-plate machines because they rattle, first it was just one of them (tied with a tape), now another one starting to buzz. But I wonder, is it possible to change just the buzzing tuning pegs and are they all in standard sizes? Any resources to look at for these parts? Thanks.
  5. There are some fine luthiers here who can give you expert advice. If you want to take a look at some product photographs that show examples of different types of tuners, check out the Lemur music site at Click on their "online store," and once you're in the store, click on "upgrade/repair." They have some good photographs of different types of tuning machines that might be helpful. Good luck.
  6. I had a rattle in my pegs, and the luthiers worked some magic and fixed em, for little or no charge.

See if a luthier can fix the old ones before you drop the dime on a new set.
  7. contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Yeah, that's a good idea to actually let a luthier fix the pegs, becaus them tunining-machines + installation is way out of my budget.. Thanks for the advices, guys.