Cheap 12 String...which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Mar 10, 2005.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thinking about adding a cheap 12 string to the arsenal (cheap because it will get used very little).

Have played the Dean and Carlo Robelli.
    Have only seen pix of the Galveston and the "new kid on the block", Hades (my favorite "looking" in neck-through, all white).

So the question your opinion which is the best for the price?
    It looks like any could be had for $500 or less (one much less).
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Based on what others have said, I would avoid the Galveston.

I have the Hamer import model, it is very good sounding. The Dean is also very nice, and most likely made in the same factory.

We don't have Carlo Robelli in this part of the world. From what others have said, it appears to be a real 'hit or miss' brand. So I wouldn't buy one of those without playing it first.

I have not heard of this Hades model. Do you have a link?

Also, check out and
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Do NOT get a Galveston if you intend to use it as-is. Galveston fretboards are very dry and need work to be decent. Pickups and preamps on Galvestons are horrible as well. I can only recommend getting a Galveston if you want to strip it and replace the neck, pickups, and preamp.
  4. My favorite inexpensive 12-string is the Dean Rhapsody. I think it compares favorably with my US Hamer B12L Chaparral. The Dean has less neck dive, and is better for fingerstyle playing.

The Hades basses look interesting, but they are new to the market. Seems like they are made in the same Korean factory as the others. Hades does offer a good warranty, as does Dean.
  5. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    First of all, I haven't got any experience with any 12er, and thus of none of the instruments asked about.

I am pretty sure, though, that Galveston and Carlos Robelli are both made by the same OEM manufacturer in Korea. So I believe the same caution should be paid towards the Robelli that towards the Galveston. I've heard little good about these instruments. They're made in the UnSung Factory in Korea.

From the look of that Hades 12-string, it can very well have the same roots as the Robelli and Galveston. I don't know this for a fact, but it looks similar. The same does the Brice 8-string.

Of the basses you mention, Deans are the ones I've heard most good things about (and possibly also the Hamers). The Deans I've played have been good. :)
  6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    100% Dean from the list given, they're really quality instruments - but look also into the Musicvox Space Cadet 12, just in case you like it better. Doesn't balance as well as the Dean from what i've read, but how can you go wrong with a giant "12" painted on the body =0)
  7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have played the Dean 12'ers. I actually prefer the Carlo Robelli's, but as previously stated, they are hit and miss. I have the 8 string. Not to bad, needed a little fret work to keep the action low without buzzing, but otherwise pretty good. Cheap. That is about what you can say. When you buy one of these, IMO, cheap is cheap and there are really no 2 ways about it. Decent, but cheap