1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap, new, loud enough combo suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inconnu, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Hi!

I'm looking for something portable and affordable, to where the SVT is too big to carry...

I've tried quite a few amps and liked the Hartke A100 and the Gallien Krueger MB112 quite a bit, but I wonder if I should look into other models before making a move. Your suggestions, within the same price range NEW (I ain't got no patience for shopping around used gear, nor a good experience in that field), would be appreciated. My criteria : loud enough for a semi-quiet 3 piece band (amplified acoustic guitar and mellow drum), rather small package (no 24 inch wide combos please!), I'm not too picky on the weight (I'm in my mid-thirties and still strong enough ;)).

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
  3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have two favorite combos. The Mesa Walkabout Scout is one, but a bit pricey, even used (last used one I saw was $799). The other is the Ampeg B100R - out of production now, but amazing, easy to dial in Ampeg tone. I guess both options are reasonable to transport - you'd have to decide for yourself (I haul around a 412, personally...)

Good luck!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I would run from anything with built in effects and the such . Had a bad experience with them .

I had an ampeg BA115HP I really liked . Heavy but came with casters.

Make sure it's the HP as its 200 vs 100 watts .

6. BassyBass81

BassyBass81

Feb 26, 2013
    wny
    I have come too prefer the tone on my carvin micro 10'' over my ampeg. And it's just as loud with a extension cab till about 7.5 on the master. I bought it just for a practice amp but now I consider it my main rig and just leave my 100#+ monster and the jamm room. I'm in my mid 30's aswell and I am sick of carring heavy gear plus I would like to hand it down so I want to preserve it.

7. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    The new Max II series is pretty serious stuff.

8. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    The Orange BXT 100 would warrant a look see.

9. Joeplanet

Joeplanet

Apr 30, 2011
    DFW
    I can attest to the tiny size and power of the Carvin Microbass 10. It would more than fit your situation with a supplemental 8-Ohm cab of your choice. I myself have used a single 12" Aguilar to get the full 250 watts. Here is my description and photos.

http://www.newtrality.com/blog/2010/12/16/tiny-bass-rig.html

10. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I haven't tried any of the carvins but they intrigue me .

I recently bought a brand new GK 400RB and a NEO-II 112 wih plans to add a second 112

Overall its going to cost more but it's what I wanted .

If your looking at Gallien Krueger get a quote from RMC audio. You have to request an email quote or phone in as the cart price is higher . I saved about 20-25% over any other retailer.

11. I'll give another nod to the BG250.

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
  13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    And I another...

14. I tried the TC Electronic and I wasn't sold to it, really. It felt hollow, somewhat muffled, whatever I did with the knobs.

I do have a problem with my current search for a small combo... I own my favorite amp ever (a good old SVT) and nothing compares to it to my ears, so every amp I try seem to miss something... Still, the TC Electronic didn't make it for me, might be in my head, but digital always sounds like an MP3 version of another amp (to quote a fellow Talkbass user whom I can't recall the name of...).

15. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    Whoever it was, he is a genius.

16. It's funny.... All of the comments I get are about how full it sounds. I run the scpectracomp and tubedrive at all times.

17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I'm not sold on the spectracomp yet, but also run the Tubedrive all the time. It may be all in my head, but just using the Tubedrive seems to provide a bit of compression.

Used the BG for the first time at rehearsal Wed night - the guys in my band loved the tone. I'm using it at a gig tomorrow.

18. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not a big fan of the TC amp either for much the same reason as others above. If you've run an SVT, you'll be very hard pressed to get that vibe and presence in a combo amp.

19. I like the Carvin combos. Small, light, plenty of power, and several different speaker configurations. I have the MB15 with the 15" extension speaker, and it fills my needs just fine.

20. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I love my Genz Benz 12T 600 watts, great sound, small combo but loud enough to use in a power trio (like mine) or a jazz/coffeehouse setting.