1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheapest Bowable EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Gopher Bob, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    What is the cheapest( or best) bowable EUB under 1000?

2. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Keeping my eyes open for one, I'd say that for a new one at that price the Palatino VE 500 seems the best option.

3. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    The Ergo is a good bowable bass and at $750 - 800 is a good bargain.

Far more so than the palatino, no work to do on an Ergo unpack tune and play.....

4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    hmmmmm ergo... ill have to check them out

5. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    Palatino!! I love mine. I looked for a year before I found it.

Total crap electronics though. Crap strings too. Plan on replacing them both before even plugging it in.

Matt

mpguitars.com

6. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Does the Palatino have good bowing skillz? The main reason i would get one is to bow... at least at first.

7. I am learning to bow on my Palatino. There are some points to keep in mind:

1) The bridge is smaller than a normal upright, so the string spacing is narrower for bowing.

2) The pickups are set up poorly out of the box. I've inserted inner tube material as described in the Palatino megathread - this helps 100%, and I'm happy with the arco and pizz sounds.

3) I found that I need a fixed stand to bow this thing - I couldn't find a usable position with the peg and U-shaped support. There's a thread down below about the stand I use - it was $30 and fits without any mods to the bass.

At this point, I'm practicing the bow daily and it's an easy transition to a wider bridge when I go to my lessons. I do want to replace the bridge at some point - the fingerboard appears wide enough for normal spacing at the bridge.

8. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I vote Ergo. My students use the one (I bought) every day. It sounds great, especially bowed. It also has held up well, which says a lot considering middle schoolers . MY

9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Ergo is the very best in that range - no question. Arco sounds great because of the wood.
    You do a few mods and it still comes in under $1000.

10. NS Wav 4 is a good option in this price range.

11. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    Ergo was the best I came across in terms of quality vs price.

12. NS WAV

13. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    The wav4 is nice, but the arco is not as woody and there are less string choices. I can get a clean, full sound out of mine. I used it in a string sextett last month because my double bass was getting back glued back on, and it was fine.
    There are some nicer EUBs than Ergo but nothing is close in it's price range.

14. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    Yep... and it does everything I ever need it to do in a very believable way.

15. ricca

ricca

Dec 24, 2009
    Reggio Emilia ITALY
    I have a NS wav 4
    Good arco sound (it has a dedicated pick up) and I'm able to put every kind of strings on it (actually it has Spirocores)

16. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    My Wav4 with Helicore Orchestra strings on it sounds very convincing; and the dimensions are "right" for bowing and translating to the big girl.

17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Wav4s are fine instruments but the lack of wood makes the tone sing less arco than the Ergo and they cost more thus making them less reccomendable to the OP.
    I have played both, and the Wavs just more electric sounding than the Ergo.

18. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I think this is my first "resurrected thread from the dead" thread. And yes.. I am proud.

19. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    So what bass did you get?