Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

check out this quilt!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    from an ebay auction i stumbled across:

[​IMG]

:eek:

2. That's very nice. I've seen stuff from Roscoe and Hanewinckel that was quite insane.

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    You mean like this one?
    This Roscoe is one Blueberry Hill has on order and the quilt on it is crazy!

Attached Files:

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    DAMN!! That top is stoopid*!!

:eek:

*stoopid = good.. ;)

5. Damn, somebody shoulda' told me that! That almost got me in hella trouble.

I think that's the 1st singlecut modulus I've seen.

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I don't think it's a single cut. I think the pic is just cut off below the top horn. I could be wrong though. If they are making a single cut now I would like to see a full body shot.

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ummm, you mean like this? :)

Kinda' hard to see with the dark red finish, and I appologize for the poor pic, but you should be able to get the idea. Under lights, it's so deep you almost need a life vest... ;)

[​IMG]

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That is some sick quilt dude. I love the dark red finish!

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Thanks man, yeah, on the one hand, it makes it kinda' hard to see the quilting, but on the other hand it really works with the spalted PH fingerboard. Keith also told me it was some of the best quilt he's used. Plays/sounds awesome, too, and the weight is very pleasant. I feel very lucky to have snagged it. :)

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Proof that I need to hang out in Basses more: When I read that headline, I really thought it was a thread about a quilt! I thought all you guys were going soft on me and were hooking up with a quilting bee.

I promise not to be dumb ever again.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Man I was checking out some of the handmade quilts sold by Amish women in central Pennsylvania this summer, they are magnificent! But damn expensive!!

...oops.....

I remember when my Warmouth quilt top body came in to Pink Guitarz in Centreville when I was having my green jazz custom built. They did some really great high end custom guitars there with some kind of special tremolo system that I can't remember, so they were used to seeing and dealing with very high end stuff. But they were still pretty much floored when my body came in because in addition to having an extremely deep quilt it's got a grain to it that you very rarely see in a quilt. They wanted me to see it before they sent it off to Wilkins for the paint job.

[​IMG]

It would be an AAA top except for a noticable knot/flaw.... Can't see it? That's because it's under the bridge!! :)

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow! that's nice.

:)

13. Since we are showing off quilts, here's my baby.. I like to think she has a nice quilt.

[​IMG]

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ...but I'm likin' it. :D

15. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Whoa, that's real sweet there. Doesn't look like an AAA to me.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe only a AA. :) But if you saw the knot under the bridge there's no doubt that it's "substandard".

17. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Dingwall Prima quilt.

Attached Files:

18. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Cool part about this Tobias Basic5 is that the body wings are SOLID quilt maple. :eek:

[​IMG]

19. What makes a top AA, AAA, AAAA, etc? Is it how close the quilt is, or how much quilt per area there is, or something else?

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, its all of those things and none of those things! :D There really isn't any quantatitve, objective way to grade tops...it is all subjective, and everyone had a different system. That's what makes the job of buying wood and hunting down tops so difficult. One guy's "amazing", "phenominal", "unbelievable" quilt is the next guys's ho-hum average/below average stuff. Generally, the attributes that would increase the grade of a top (talking about maple here) are the color, the coverage of the figure, the intensity of the figure, how clean the top is, the depth of the figure once a finish is applied, etc.

One thing's for sure.....I've seen a lot of AAAAA grade quilt and flame maple that would be used as door stops at Keith Roscoe's shop! :smug: