1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chicken head knob for Ibanez lawsuit EB-3?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ATLbassist, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Recently I scored a 1977 Ibanez 2354LB in trade on Craigslist. It's a lawsuit-era copy of a long-scale Gibson EB-3. The chicken-head knob for the pickup selector switch is missing and I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a replacement. The shaft is solid, but not fully round; it's more like 3/4 of a shaft with a flat side.

32049792635_df8be8a3dd. Ibanez selector pot shaft by thaddeusthompson, on Flickr

It seems like knobs intended for split shafts wouldn't work here. Would any knob meant for solid shafts and a set screw work here? Should I order parts from Gibson or Epiphone and see if it works?

2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Try the parts bin at your local hardware store. I was surprised to find my local Store has a couple different sized chicken head knobs in the "wall of hardware" drawers. Nice ones with brass insert hubs and set screws. Who knew? I've used them on a couple guitar pedal projects.

4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    @ATLbassist ....that is a 1/4" diameter "D" shaft. There are numerous vendors on ebay, Amazon, etc, that have that type chicken head. The set screw is opposite the beak. You can see the mark it left on the flat. This is what you want for 1/4" shaft.....
    upload_2017-1-3_17-8-6.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ^^Winner, winner chicken head dinner!^^

Neo1, mech and nbsipics like this.
  6. Turns out there was one in my local Ace Hardware. It didn't have the brass bushing, but no matter. It's not like I'll be switching it constantly.

31730776620_6d6faa1a7e. Replacement chicken head knob from Ace Hardware by thaddeusthompson, on Flickr

Looks pretty close to stock, from what I see in the original catalog picture.

mech likes this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Win!!

sissy kathy likes this.