1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CHINESE Squier Affinity Jazz vs INDONESIAN Squier Vintage Modified Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PotterLog, Apr 25, 2018.

1. PotterLog

PotterLog

Apr 25, 2018
    That's my choice for a second "first" bass (I played in bands twenty years ago but have barely touched the instrument since then). Tried both and both play fine. I prefer the VM in pretty much every way but the thing that's making me think twice is that I've heard the new Chinese Squiers are more consistent in quality than the Indo ones.

The VM is approx 160 USD more expensive where I am (50% extra) but I'm wondering whether I'd actually get better setup & playability from the cheaper guitar because it's Chinese. Any thoughts?

PS I'm new, I think I'm posting this in the right place, humbly beg forgiveness if not...

2. The Vintage Modified range is a step up from Affinity, but neither seem to be especially consistent - if at all possible, I'd advise playing a few examples of each if at all possible.

cratz2 and PotterLog like this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    most likely both can be made into a fine 1st bass with some knowledgeable tinkering and modding as needed. I have a new VM PJ and it's my first experience with an un-gigable bass, the PUs were ...let's say funky, and then a neck bolt screw head came off easily while in the process of tightening everything, so swap in good steel on either of these models at that crucial point. that said, I've yet to address those issues cos I'm having too much fun with it to stop.

PotterLog likes this.
  4. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I have 2 VM from Indonesia and, except strings on one, I haven't change a thing. J needed little leveling frets and that's pretty much it.

PotterLog and SJan3 like this.
  5. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I dig my new affinity jazz, it is very present and beefy sounding for a jazz. It was easy to set up and sounds great in a rock setting. Frets are level and no sharp ends, body looks great as well. I prefer that it is alder compared to the basswood of the vm.

Bob T and PotterLog like this.
  6. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Glad you made the distinction between Chinese and Indonesian.
    In my personal experience, Indonesian instruments surpass Chinese. Consider that companies such as Lakland and G&L entrust Indonesia, not China, to build their imports to many rave reviews.

PotterLog likes this.
  7. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    I haven't heard great things about the Chinese Affinity basses TBH.

I have an Indo Affinity which is great.

Full size tuners and a lightweight body.

Only thing that lets it down is the wiring!

PotterLog likes this.
  8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Indonesian.

PotterLog likes this.
  9. Indo all the way. I have a VM 5 string P and an Indonesian made Sterling by Musicman Ray35. Neither bass feels cheap or poorly made.

Stilltryin and PotterLog like this.
  10. PotterLog

PotterLog

Apr 25, 2018
    Right, thanks! I didn't expect so much love for the Indo builds, my luthier friend says the Chinese Squiers he gets in are really well made whereas the Indos are less consistent. Well I'll try them both again, thanks for the input all.

11. Bob T

Bob T

May 26, 2016
    Rhode Island
    The Chinese Affinitys are fine. I'm older and I have to say that that today's low priced basses are truly amazing. I paid $89.00 for a used Affinity Jazz and I love it. Nice neck, a little beefier than the VM70's pencil thin neck I tried, and action that will go as low as anything around. Sure the electronics are mediocre, but really, you should have seen what $100.00 would have got you back in the mid 1970's when I started. Nothing but junk!

PotterLog likes this.
  12. PotterLog

PotterLog

Apr 25, 2018
    Thanks again all, I went for the VM in the end and I reckon it’s a winner so far

3A2D0B46-5025-468B-A93E-24343DC0A76C.jpeg

Erik Asma, cratz2, Tad and 2 others like this.
  13. Bob T

Bob T

May 26, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Congrats! You can't go wrong. These are crazy good for the money!

PotterLog likes this.
  14. I tend to agree agree with your friend ... Chinese made instruments’ quality increased remarkably during the last 2/3 years !

PotterLog likes this.
  15. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

Indonesian = Cort guitar factory which is IMHO one of the best Asian manufacturers. Good choice!

Stilltryin and PotterLog like this.
  16. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I have visited quite large number musical museums here in the South... When you see some of historic guitars which were played by famous guys, you would not believe it is possible to play those things today... Total junk and horror, and still they left incredible music legacy with such instruments...

cratz2, Bob T and PotterLog like this.
  17. Kijekuyo

Kijekuyo

Oct 19, 2018
    La Mesa, CA
    I'll add my support for the Chinese (Taiwanese) Affinity. I know the OP already bought a VM, but I thought I would add my experience for posterity. My Taiwanese version is very well crafted. I have no doubt that the Vintage Modified is very good, but I thought it unnecessary to pay the extra money; plus there were a couple of features i actually preferred. Like twc1313, I am partial to the alder wood. I also like the satin-finish neck. That said, I seriously considered a VM before buying my Affinity.

18. Ronnie Thunders

Ronnie Thunders

Oct 21, 2019
    Good stuff, no doubt for a buck twenty us delivered in a hard case 99bf87ecca0e26448e80b9d60d73bf14.jpg

19. Ronnie Thunders

Ronnie Thunders

Oct 21, 2019
    I just like the idea of turning a mediocre squire into a fender killer

20. Ronnie Thunders

Ronnie Thunders

Oct 21, 2019
    It tickles my fancy, and let's face it, it's the same chit made by brown hands

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021