1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choosing a slap basd

Discussion in 'Ask Ray Riendeau' started by ifender, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ifender

ifender

Jul 1, 2011
    What is better for slap, a jazz Bass or a ibanez soundgear 900?

2. collins81

collins81

Jul 29, 2011
    what bass felt better when you played it?

3. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
  4. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    ^That one.

But to your question (and if you're reading this, people, don't make fun of the OP's question... if you don't have something positive to add, just move on), personally I've always preferred a Jazz Bass for slap/pop. Lots of great examples (Marcus and Larry) to prove that. But know just as many slap players (if not more) use other basses. Heck, those amazing tracks on Slap It! were recorded on a P-Bass.

So, go with what feels best, but know that some killer thumbslingers have used a J over the years. Just sayin'

--Steve

5. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    Just a simple matter of personal preference. The only recommendation I'd give is to make sure there is no pickup in the area of where you slap so you have enough room to accommodate the technique.

6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'd agree that it's whichever one you like best.

I've always kind of wanted a Jazz bass. Got a lot of respect for the sound and the history. But I just can't get over how homely most of them are. The only thing fuglier is a P bass. Even the Stingray isn't much better looking than the Fenders.

I'm well aware that a kazillion people disagree with me--no need to remind me. But this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.