1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chorus Pedals that like Low End

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by D_Strings, Nov 10, 2016.

1. D_Strings

D_Strings

Nov 9, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I'm looking for a chorus pedal that accentuates the low-end well. I've been looking seriously at the following three:

Tech 21 - Bass Boost Chorus

Source Audio - Gemini Chorus

Earthquaker Devices - Sea Machine (only vid for this one also includes the Hoof Reaper)

If it helps, the rest of the rig includes:

Pre-EQ
    EHX - POG Nano
    Okko - Black Beast
    Earthquaker Devices - Hoof Reaper
    Source Audio - Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter Pro

Post-EQ
    Boss - BF3 Flanger
    Earthquaker Devices - Afterneath
    Earthquaker Devices - Dispatch Master

Probably swapping one of the fuzz / distortions for VFEs 2017 RUP when it comes out. All of this is run through a Mesa Boogie MPulse 600 with various basses, one with a low F#, so again, low end is important to me.

Wondering if people have direct experience with the above 3 or have other suggestions. I love EHX and the Bass Clone sounds great on high-end, but seems to lose a lot on low end.

2. D_Strings

D_Strings

Nov 9, 2016
    Massachusetts
    And please don't recommend Boss CEB-3. I have one and do not love it.

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Boss ps-3 mode 8.

gregmon79 likes this.
  4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Give a try to Carl Martin Bass Chorus

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have the boost chorus - and I like it. But it is not really all that well made. Footswitch sticks a lot, power input is a bit wonky. Sounds really good, though.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  6. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would check out the MXR bass chorus deluxe.

Best bass chorus I've used & I really like the way it sounds on Los notes.

Embra, RolandMHall, swafran and 3 others like this.
  7. hbabels

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Low notes.
    Dumb iPhone !

8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    Aguilar Chorusarus which was designed for the bass guitar and all those lovely low notes

gelinas666 likes this.
  9. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Having tried a half dozen or so chorus pedals, the Bass Boost Chorus seems to be welded to my board. It's really versatile and sounds the most natural. It's awesome! Never any issues.

BPhillips and Moosehead1966 like this.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

MXR Stereo Chorus is great on bass, it has a filter switch reducing the effect on low frequencies and a 2-band EQ for even more tweaks. Chorus-wise, Intensity, Width and Rate knobs offer a lot of options to help you find your sound. The pedal's tone is warm enough, has a bit of a sparkle to it and is not cheesy, IMO. I owned the BBC for a short period and while I did like it, I went back to the MXR. I have no experience with the other 2 pedals you mention.

EDIT: EHX seems to have hit the mark with their new Bass Clone. Were I in the market for a chorus, I'd definitely give that one a shot.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    swafran and XrisThaBassman like this.
  11. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    I have an Analog Man chorus with the deep switch, and I really love that for my everyday chorus.
    I also have a Boss PS-6, which I got for the super bend mode, but the chorus sound that it has is very nice.

Another one that hasn't been recommended would be the Iron Ether Polytope. That's next on my list to try, as I've heard some rave reviews.

Another good, and well priced, chorus would be the Minifooger chorus.

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've heard nothing but great things about the newer EXH bass small clone. I would love to try it. The same with the Tech 21 you listed. You'd most likely be hard pressed to find anything "better" than these other than going with say a Source Audio Orbital or a Strymon Mobius. I've use the Orbital and REALLY liked it. But then graduated to the Mobius which is awesome. But expensive.

dinoadventures and DrColossus68 like this.
  13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I had that. It was WAY too subtle for my tastes. If I use a chorus, I want to know it's on haha. No offense at all man. That chorus works for many bassist. I'm just not one of them. But I really felt it was far to mellow. Kinda like the Boss CEB3 in that respect.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  14. hbabels

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    No worries different opinions & I would agree it does tend to be more on the subtle side of chorus which is probably a reason I like it. I've had some chorus pedals that felt were too obvious.

I should also mention that the TC Corona chorus sounds really good and with the tone print you can really tweak parameters to taste.

I felt it's sound was more dramatic compared to MXR which may be why I prefer the MXR it's more subtle & a pinch "warmer " to my ear.

Both good sounds though.

Roberto Nunez, DavC, BIG97BEN and 2 others like this.
  15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yes, great points. I think if you're a bassist into chorus, you're in one or the other camp. The one that wants it pronounced and to stand out or you want it barely there to add another layer of texture. Either way is cool. I just prefer the pronounced kind. Especially when I add some fuzz to it! ;)

I also agree with you about the TC Corona. It is a great and versatile chorus. I havent played with one myself, but I watced a lot of demos and there is a sim of it my Zoom 60b. I know, it's not the same thing. But I feel I have the feeling of that one down because I watched enough demos anyway. That is a nice one indeed.

SunnBass and Roberto Nunez like this.
  16. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    EHX bass Cline has had a lot of praise lately, try it

gregmon79 likes this.
  17. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    For my money, the chorus that both preserves the most bass and is the most obvious in the mix is the Polytope (just keep it at more mild settings, because it can get weird quickly). The only downside is that it is more of a "chimey" chorus, rather than a dark/watery chorus, so if you prefer the latter tone it is not the best choice.

18. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Of the ones in the OP, I have only used the bass boost chorus. I love it and it works for me. I can go subtle or warbly mad and anything in between. Been on my board for a few years now.

BPhillips and Moosehead1966 like this.
  19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Providence Anadime.

20. +1 on the Polytope

But for straight up 80's style chorus, the cheap MXR Analog Chorus works very well. It's not a particularly pronounced effect, but the level control and the hi and low pass features make it very useful.