1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chorus w/out the detuning effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dregsfan, May 8, 2015.

1. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    I recently got a TC Electronics Corona Chorus. I had a chorus pedal many years ago and

overused it and burnt myself out on hearing that effect. So now I'm only liking this chorus pedal when the effect is just barely audible, without the detuning being too noticeable.

Is there a type of effect (doubling ?) that isn't reverb but expands the sound similar to the chorus set very mild.

I don't know much about effects, but the delay pedals I've tried didn't really do it for me either.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I also don't like how chorus-y most chorus pedals get. So far my favorite I have tried is the EHX stereo electric mistress and digitech bass whammy. Very subtle and not harsh or overbearing. I also like using my MF-Delay to add depth like a chorus sometimes.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I think the Digitech Luxe is allegedly exactly for this. Although saying "chorus without the detuning" doesn't make a ton of sense, I think you mean more like "chorus without the warble."

Veldar, sillyfabe, jrick7 and 2 others like this.
  4. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    bassmusic17, thanks for that input. Is the MF-Delay, the Moog Pedal?

Adamixoye, Also thanks for the suggestion, and you got the wording (warble) right. (What a great word)

Adamixoye likes this.
  5. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    No problem. One more suggestion would be the Micropitch algorithm in the Eventide Pitchfactor or H9, which sort of does what you're talking about. This would be significantly more expensive, but you would wind up with some awesome pedals.

6. The Corona has some pretty mild toneprints. In fact, if anything I'd say that the ones available to choose from were for the most part a little too mild for my tastes. Give yourself some time to mess around with them and try a bunch of different ones out. I bet you'll find more than a few non-warbly options.

monsterthompson likes this.
  7. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    blindrabbit,

That's really good advice. I have to admit, I haven't spent that much time experimenting with it.

Thanks.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Chorus without the modulation is short delay. Flanging without the modulation is delay but with even shorter delay. You need a delay pedal.

I suspect that what you really want is the 'detune' effect without the modulation, in which case you need a pitch-shifter capable of a 'single-figure' cents shifts.

9. dregsfan

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks SteveCS,

Gives me something to research. Cool.

10. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    No worries. To help you, Chorus and Flanging are delay-based effects created by cyclical adjustment (modulation) of the delay time creating a change in pitch whilst the delay time is actually changing. Getting shorter = pitch shift up, getting longer = pitch shift down. Deeper modulation gives more shift up and down around the original - hopefully modulation speed is self-explanatory? By mixing this with the original sound you get a thickening as the two (or in some cases up to 16) different pitches get mixed back and interfere with each other. Pitch shift / detune gives the same interference but the pitch shift is constant. The sound will be closer to a mandolin or 12-string guitar

Mosfed and JollySpudd like this.
  11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    +1 on the Digitech Luxe. It's exactly what you want.

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Tech21 Boost Chorus Bass on a mild detune setting, with no or very little modulation. Try the Multivoice mode too. I bet your sound is somewhere in there.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Moosehead1966 and Driven Crane like this.
  13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Just looked up the Digitech Luxe - Looks like it might fit the bill...

14. Low End Bottom

Low End Bottom

Aug 31, 2013
    Goin on a limb here, but you might wanna try a Sadowsky Preamp. To my ears with treble boosted, it sounds like a chorus w/o the chorusy effect.

15. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    The best chorus I ever got was using two amps, one dry and one with the effect. I would do as SteveCS suggested, try a delay or a pitch shifter and see which one you like better.

Bassically, Michael

JollySpudd likes this.
  16. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

If you can live with the larger footprint and 18v requirement, the MXR Stereo Chorus is the best I used to get more of a doubling effect and also best chorus overall. Tons of low-end (filter switch) and tweakable from here to December.

17. Another vote for the Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus. No need to further complicate the matter. Best bass chorus out at the moment I.M.H.O. Marc

Sufenta likes this.
  18. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    The two things I already suggested---the Digitech Luxe and Eventide's Micropitch algorithm (found in the Pitchfactor and H9 pedals)---are two things that do the "pitch shift by cents" that Steve suggests.

19. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Try a phaser (MXR, Boss, etc). Gives enough of an "effect" without obscuring the fundamental (your singer will thank you!).

20. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Yeah it's the Minifooger from Moog.