1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chours

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ziggy44, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ziggy44

ziggy44

Jan 15, 2012
    Call me ignorant, but I don't understand the applications of many of these bass effects. I have a distortion/driver, a reverb, a cry baby, and a tuning pedal. I like the sound the Chours makes, I just don't see where to use it aside a solo. It seems like the light tone gets lost when mixed with guitar and drumbs. I have been playing bass for 12 years and am really starting to get serious with it and would like some insight into bass effects in general. I look forward to hearing from u all as u know this app has quite a few very knowledgeable veteran bassists. Thanx in advance for your input!

Ziggy

2. I don't use chorus alot, mainly I use a heavy chorus for alot of our 80's covers (Cure, Cars, etc.). Also, a good way to thicken up a solo line if need be.

I never had a reason to use reverb on bass.

Distortion, fuzz, overdrive etc. is a definate personal thing... I tend to use just enough to fit what style I am trying to pull off.

3. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Aside from a solo or perhaps a slower song, chorus isn't really going to be very applicable in a band setting. I've pretty much removed chorus use from my playing for almost exactly that reason.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    It's great for thickening higher lines and especially the output of a octave-up.

5. ziggy44

ziggy44

Jan 15, 2012
    Again please exuse my igrorance but isn't that Wat an octive pedal OS for? Or do u mean for when u play an octive above the guitar?

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

7. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    France
    Simon Gallup and Duff McKagan used chorus a lot, and for entire songs. I believe it is not even unreasonable to say that it was integral to their sound at the time. With a clear and punchy sound, a little bit of chorus can make the sound thicker and somewhat metallic. It is totally applicable in a band setting but it depends on the context, this obviously doesn't work for all styles of music, in my experience.

[Edit]
    @Jazz Ad: You beat me on this one! May I add another example?
    Guns N' Roses - You could be mine - YouTube

8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    putting an EQ pedal before it a chorus pedal and putting mids and highs up helps it cut through

9. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm with you on traditional bass sounds and how they fit into a traditional setting- overdrives, and the others you listed are accepted as different flavors of what a bass sounds like. An octaver into a bit crusher into a gated fuzz into a delay pedal that is self-oscillating while you bend down and tweak the delay time knob..... has a completely different application than does a pedal that emulates a warm tube amp. The application of these non traditional sounds is up to you.

Oh, and using a chorus pedal for an entire song is cool if you want it to sound like a G&R cover- don't forget your pick.

10. ziggy44

ziggy44

Jan 15, 2012
    Huh... Yall got me thinkin bout getting one now... I apriciate all the advise! Anyone have a preferance on Chours pedals to use. I am a big boss guy as it is. So that is my 1st thought. Also any other input on what applications to use Chours pedals to begin with would still b great!

Ziggy

11. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Moog ClusterFlux. Unless, of course, you have a brain, in which case, get an MXR or a Visual Sound H20. Seriously, the latter gets very little love around here, and were it not for the Roland Jazz Chorus amp that I bought that day, I would be singing my praise aboot the H20.

But, as a one-man operation, and as one who plays guitar, chorus pedals are important to my sound. They are also my favorite effect.

12. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    as stated before it depends on the context of the song, the melodies that are intertwined and overall the tone/feel that makes effects useful to further exemplify what you/your band are trying to deliver to the listener/audience.

that said I love me some chorus but only detune ones.. (I use a EHX POG2, Boss PS-3 and Roland RE-20 Space Echo) Works really well for some slower parts and sounds AWESOME with a slightly overdriven EBOW

13. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    Elephant in the room?

14. ziggy44

ziggy44

Jan 15, 2012
    So how is the boss?

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The Boss is a great pedal. Like most Boss effects, it has a digital sound, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if that's the sound you're going for. I really like my EBS Unichorus...a little bit more pricey than the Boss, but it also has flange and pitch modulation.