1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chuck Israels signature mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassmanbrent, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Hey all,
    Has anybody seen this? There isn't much info at all at present, but this kinda stuff always gets my attention...

http://xlsonaudio.com

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not much info is an understatement. Things like price and where you can get it in the US, or a picture of it mounted would be nice. Israel's has always had a great sound, (bass and hands) so he's probably had some good input.

3. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

YES BUT, if you go to the website it will email an audio clip of Chuck recording a new album, apparently with no acoustical separation between intstruments, and

THE BASS SOUNDS INCREDIBLE. Here is the file

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I watched Chuck Israels using the microphone at the Acoustic Image booth during the ISB convention earler this month. Hard to tell, since I didn't hear him at his concert. In close proximty to the amp, it did ocassionally feed back. Just my take.

Ric

5. rickwolff

Since he was at the Acoustic Image booth I would guess he was using one of their down-firing speaker cabs. In my experience they are the most feedback prone cab of any I have played. The design which is intended to 'spread the sound out omnidirectionally' does just that and way too much of it finds its way back to the microphone. As you know, many bassists have employed various feedback-killing techniques such as putting a speaker up on a pole, or standing beside the speaker cab rather than in front of it. The AI design makes those 'solutions' unworkable. By accomplishing their desired goals with the down-firing speaker AI has made it difficult, if not impossible, to utilize a mic.

As you like to say: 'just my take'. But I imagine that also explains why you only use your DPA for FOH (if I recall correctly).

6. rickwolff

PS to Ric Vice:

One mic I have NOT tried with an AI downfiring speaker is my Ischell 'Contact mic'. I wouldn't be surprised it that works fine with the AI gear since it is acoustically 'sealed' to the table of the bass. I have learned through experience that if the putty 'donut' loses its seal you can indeed get some very nasty feedback, but as soon as the putty seal is restored the feedback disappears.

Be all that as it may, I still think Chucks mic on that recording clip sounds quite fabulous.

Ric Vice likes this.
  7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    All good points Rick. Rick Jones of AI provides all the amplifiers for the ISB convention at his own expense. While AI cabinets aren't something I use, I do like their amps, even though I use my Walter Woods that I've owned for a long time. The DPA has been retired, for a long time, I use an Ehrlund EAP directly into the amp and a used MAS 4x5. I couldn't be happier. Chuck does sound fabulous on that clip. He's a remarkable player.

Ric

8. JAKBOUND

JAKBOUND

Dec 14, 2007
    Houston
    Chuck didn't use any amplification that I could see at his ISB performance. He was awesome aided only by Seth kimmel's latest Cedar / walnut bass. Kudos to The piano and guitar that allowed that possibility. I did see him with the microphone at the exhibit it appeared to be mounted on an h clamp. I didn't get to hear it as I was dashing off somewhere else.

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    There were a lot of non amplified performances in the Nibenhauer recital hall. That sounded beautiful because the space was ideal for bass. Chuck was using the H Clamp to mount the Xlson mic on the bass.

Ric

10. peteswanson91

peteswanson91 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    From their sales team:
    • Price point: around €1200 + VAT/Duties (when applicable)
    • 30 days return policy - no questions asked
    • 5 year warranty
    • First batch of 50 mics arrive in August.
    • Manufacturer: Pearl Microphone Lab, Sweden
    • Near-filed condenser microphone, 48 v phantom power

11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Thanks Pete,

So it's @$1,330.00 plus VAT. If memory serves me Pearl Microphones
    built the first run of the Ehrlund EAP. At that price point we're in Schoeps MK 41 CMC 6 territory, for what it's worth.

Ric

12. peteswanson91

peteswanson91 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I hear that!

13. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    It's a friend of mine that designed that mic. Some bassplayers in Sweden has tried the prototype and seems very enthusiastic about it. I havn't tried it myself (since I don't live in Sweden any more) but I'm following the news on our Swedish doublebass Facebook page. Let's see how it goes!