1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Chuck Israels signature mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassmanbrent, Jun 5, 2017.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Voice in My Head: "Could I really come around to the idea of $1,300 if it meant no more pickups?"

Me: "Shut up, Voice!"

Jim Dedrick and Ric Vice like this.
  2. rickwolff

rickwolff SOLD For Sale: Headway EDB-2 HE $260 Supporting Member

SOUND SAMPLES OF THE CHUCK ISRAELS MIC WITH A TRIO, PIANO BASS AND DRUMS

I recorded the Chuck Israels Mic on a trio gig tonight. I sat right between the drums and the piano. I have included a clip with all 4 channels with no added EQ, just balanced for gain.

I included a short clip of the bass track only. This is the Chuck thru the Genzler Gollihur model, Post EQ DI to the Zoom recorder. You can hear the minimal bleed that comes through from the piano and the drums.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    lrhbass likes this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Nice work Rick, obviously there is some bleed into the Xlson, but I'm not sure how much that would bother me playing a gig, as I've never actually checked the bleed on my Ehrlund. You're workin' pretty hard in this particular

rhythm section. The ride cymbal is pretty up front, but maybe it didn't sound like that out in the room. The natural phase shift of that ride, kinda takes me out of the time. Just my take. So far I'm pretty impressed, it sure does

sound like your bass and not like a pickup.

rickwolff likes this.
  4. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Sounds real good.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    sounds to me like a good mic to record a trio

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Expecially when the drummer decides to play extensive fills over your solo, as can often happen :D :laugh: :roflmao:

7. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    So how does this compare to standard figure 8 mics like Schoeps ccm8, AEA N22, KM86, MKH30, MKH800 and KK120 as well as hyperC and semi-wides like ccm22 and ccm41?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  8. rickwolff

We'll let Rick Vice speak to that. He's up next. I'll be sending it out in about a week.

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    On hand I have both the Remic Green, Remic Red, and possibly a DPA 4099B.
    That’s quite a laundry list of microphones that I would be greatly suprized to find anywhere outside a
    recording studio. We’ll make every effort to do the best with what we have on hand. ;) :thumbsup:

10. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Come visit, we have all of them and many more at home courtesy of a mic obsessed recording producer as a wife.

Ric Vice and Povl Carstensen like this.
  11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    a q)
    Thanks for the invite, since your profile is “private” I assume you are located somewhere in Scandinavia or Europe based on the time of your posts. We only have the mike on loan to us for a somewhat limited amount of time here in the U.S., thanks to the manufacturer. :)

Ric

12. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    I am in Scandinavia. I am swimming in good mics and only use either the MK41 or one of the remics for live use and sometimes AEA A440 or M49 or even M150 for studio use depending on the isolation.

13. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You are very fortunate indeed, to have all those choices. Tell me, what settings do you use or suggest for the Remic Green? It's gain is wonderful, but there
    seems to be a low frequency bump, on the E String, that produces a hard attack on the notes centered around half position F, F#,G etc. Most
    of us use a Grace Felix which is perfectly capable of zeroing in on the problem, were just having diffuculty narrowing it down. The HPF helps of course
    but a little of that goes a long way. Personally, I'd be very interested in your thoughts. Thank you

Sincerley

Ric Vice

14. Happy Steve

Happy Steve Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Mel-burn, Ore-stralia
    After a long wait, I finally tried out the e906 mic on a quiet gig on Friday, with no feedback problems at all.. but someone else in the group and I both noticed that the volume varied a lot on some notes, which has never been the case with the Ischell in the same setup.
    I tried both phase positions on the EDB, and got the tone I wanted but no relief from the variability between notes. Is this an inevitable problem when using a mic without PA support? Phasing of some notes between mic and speaker (EON 510 on a stand) causing positive and negative reinforcement at different frequencies? Is it something with my bass that I don't notice when unamplified that does not stand out with the Ischell for some reason??

Ric Vice likes this.
  15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Well, like they say infinite solutions are infinitely variable. As you know, the Ischell is a contact microphone, embedded in putty. The Sennheiser e906 is a Large diaphragm condenser and it's a Supercardioid mic. There are some advantages to a smaller condenser, with a tighter pickup pattern. All Double
    Basses have notes that speake better than others, but you aren't as likely to
    notice that as much, playing them without amplification. I'm not one to use
    big mic sometimes weaker is better. That's why the Troll ribbon microphone
    works so well.

Ric

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  16. rickwolff

Short Video Clip using the Chuck Israels Mic close to drums and piano

This shows how close I was to the drums and piano. The recording using the 'Chuck' really does sound like my bass (only louder).

Earl likes this.
  17. rickwolff

Has anybody had trouble in viewing this video? It works fine on my computer and on my phone (both android), but I heard from one person that he couldn't view it on his mac or his iphone.

Anyone else?

18. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Is anyone having trouble seeing Rick’s video? Perhaps it’s just an issue with my local network. What say you folks.

Ric

19. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Is the audio from that video directly from the mic? If so I can hear the whole darn Band

20. rickwolff

No, Ric. That recording is not just from the bass mic but is from the whole band.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021