Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus/Millenium preamp upgrade project...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    So I had this idea that I could put the Tiger Eye sweep mid preamp (actually a USA Millenium preamp... even says so on the circuit board) in my standard Cirrus...

So I'm currently awaiting the preamp and a few knobs. I've already spoken to a tech at Peavey and he advises that I'll probably have to thin the body for the mid control so the pot sticks thru far enough to get the knobs on properly. He also says I'll prolly have to make the hole larger as well. We'll see. I really don't wanna' start cutting wood out... especially if it means it's an irreversible mod. Generally don't like those.

Clearly the first thing to do is see if I can find a concentric pot that fits as is. Dunno if there is such a beast, but I'll look if need be.

Anyway, I'll post here after I have a chance to dig into it a bit... prolly next week or later.

Wish me luck! :)

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a USA Millennium and the one thing I can say about the preamp is that I think the highs are actually a bit too much. With the treble all the way up, the tone is very usable to my ears. With it rolled off a bit, it sounds wonderful.