Class D Bass amp and cab recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sonic_boogaloo, Aug 18, 2017.

1. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    First of all, Hi everyone! I'm a newbie.

A bit of background: Up until 20 years ago I played bass guitar semi-professionally doing small-medium size gigs and even recording until taking a hiatus.

Fast forward to present day, I've reestablished my enthusiasm for playing bass and hope to start playing live (in small-mid size venues) and recording again.

Back in the day I only used tube amplification such as HiWatt and Fender, but sold all my amps after taking a break.

Now I'm looking at buying a new amp and cab(s). Research has convinced me that tube amps are no longer practical and are probably out of my price range anyway. Class D seems the way to go.

I play a CIJ Fender Mustang Bass with LaBella flatwounds. I play with fingers and plectrum. I absolutely hate the slap and pop bass sound.

My favourite bass sounds/players are:

McCartney Revolver-Abbey Road Beatles
    Jamerson 60s-early 70s motown
    Late 60s - early 70s JBs
    Classic 60's/70's pop/Rock - Byrds, The Who, Cream, Stones, Faces etc
    Herbie Flowers' playing on Gainsbourg's 'Histoire De Melody Nelson'
    Scott IV - Scott Walker (whoever played the bass on that)
    Bruce Foxton with The Jam
    MC5/Stooges

YouTube is a minefield because almost ALL demos feature mainly slap bass, grrrr!

Anyway, my research seems to indicate that the Aguilar TH500 plus 1x12 cab is probably best suited. Any other recommendations that I should audition?

Thank you!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Welcome to TB!

What is your max budget?

3. Welcome to TalkBass.
    Have you checked out the Genzler? Click>Genzler Amplification
    It also has a great DI for live and recording.

revroy, metallicafan18 and Burwabit like this.
  4. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanks!

I live in Spain, so I'm looking at sub €1000 but would be willing stretch that a little.

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Welcome!

I'm not sure if you mentioned where you are located.

I agree, we need to know your budget, and will you just be using your amp as a stage monitor with FOH support, or will you need to fill an average sized venue?

I have used many class D amps, and have settled on Genzler. The MG800 is a very versatile head with 2 channels that are foot switchable.

6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Hmmm sub 1000 huh? Maybe look at the new V3 Fender Rumble series. They offer alot for the money, and move quite a bit of air. Plus I feel that they are geared toward a more vintage tone.

Sparkl likes this.
  7. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    Sorry, I should have specified: sub €1000 for the amp head alone.

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Oh ok...then I would give Genzler a serious look. Also I've heard good things about Mesa Class D heads.

revroy and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  9. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanks! I've added the Genzler to my list as per other poster's recommendations.

The Mesa certainly interests me but from the demos I've heard (on YouTube admittedly) it has that 'slap and pop' tone that lends itself to a more modern sound. Same with the TC RH450.

My first port-of-call due to my previous experience at owning tube amps, was Ampeg. I'm not convinced by them. The V-4B would break the bank but I'm really not sure if this tube amp sounds any better than a class D. The porta-flex line sound pretty par for the course and again, seem more modern sounding than vintage.

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Plus the Genzler MG800 has a very nice over drive sound to one of the channels. I am like you when it comes to vintage sound, and non-slap. I play with fingers only, and love the nice deep round tone that I get with my Magellan 800. Pretty sure it's available from retailers over your way.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  11. wjl

wjl

Jul 18, 2017
    near Frankfurt, Germany
    endorsing nothing except maybe free and open source stuff, like Linux
    Markbass LM3. Try that VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) up to the 9 o'clock position, and you should be there.

12. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    Sounds right up my street! Thanks again for your recommendation, much appreciated!

S-Bigbottom and jlepre like this.
  13. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanks wjl! Will add that to my list of auditions.

14. +1 for the Genzler Magellan. I've also played through a Mesa D800 once as my backline and really liked that. Lots of choices out there. Good luck.
    upload_2017-8-18_13-29-23.png

15. Orion1985

Orion1985 Supporting Member

May 4, 2010
    Grass Valley, CA
    If you go with the Aguilar head and cab seriously consider getting a second cab. It's not so much about the volume but two SL112s sound quite a bit different than a single one in my opinion.

el murdoque, smogg and RolandMHall like this.
  16. Peavey MiniMega 1000 and a greenboy F212.

17. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanks for your input, Steve! The Genzler has certainly taken front row for auditioning, along with the D800.

18. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanks Orion! Will definitely bear that in mind, but financial constraints mean that it will be at a later date!

19. sonic_boogaloo

sonic_boogaloo

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanks CL400Peavey! Much appreciated!

CL400Peavey likes this.
  20. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    Carvin BX700 and a Carvin BRX 10.2 cab is what I'd recommend to anyone who needs an amp. My only complaint is that it doesn't get quiet enough for my bands practice space without being nearly inaudible (it's either too loud for the room or not there). For that reason alone I'd possibly say a Carvin BX250 but then you give up the graphic eq.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021