1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clean Hands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigEarl, Feb 22, 2013.

1. I scrub at least two layers of skin off before each performance!

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. I rinse once before the show. Good 'nuff.

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. I lick the BBQ sauce off, wipe 'em on my jeans and count "1-2-3-4!"

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Carrots (...but washed)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    How important is it for you to have clean hands before playing?

I bring this subject up because I had a very uncomfortable 2nd set Wednesday night at a corporate event. Being in Texas (and having folks from around the world show up for events) we Texan's really enjoy showing off our BBQ, and every event in the Lone Star State MUST include it in the fare. Anyway I had a nice piece briskett between my teeth when we got called back up to the stage abruptly. So selection #3 was my world and gawd I hated it! Now you'll have excuse me while I coat my bass in Purelle!

2. El Slap

El Slap

Oct 8, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    One of my friends is an amazing guitarist who washed his hands with hot water and soap before playing his guitar. Granted, he was pretty OCD and had some ashy-ass hands, but his guitar was immaculate. I always wash my hands at some point before playing.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I always wash my hands before playing.
    Bass strings and necks are no place for un-needed crud.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    ^^Yup. Even after switching to flatwounds a year back, I still prefer a clean set of hands, reduces crud and potential drag on my strings...my Ph is not very high, and I don't burn through / corrode strings, but still...

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I always wash my hands and I use Chops Pre Play also.

6. I keep a rag soaked with denatured alcohol in arms distance at all times to wipe down my strings and my hands & don't forget a pair of sweat bands. Greasy sweaty hands will kill a great bass tone. Just my opinion;-) This can make the difference between your first and last song of the night sounding like sonic chimes or your third song sounding like a fretless with dead flat wounds with the tone knob on zero! Very important while recording 2. Unless you can afford new strings for each song;-) ImageUploadedByTalkBass1361556286.686081.

7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm pretty OCD about washing my hands. I wash them before I touch ANYTHING basically... Playing a gig with unwashed hands would be my personal hell.

My guitarist is the opposite... He thinks taking a leak and not washing your hand before a gig gives you that extra mojo. Yuck!

8. Well, I don't scrub for surgery, but I do use soap and water.

For me, it beats removing built-up residue down the line. I also wipe down the fretboard and strings after each session. It beats changing strings more than necessary.

9. I always wash my hands before playing bass, guitar, or uke. It may or may not make much of a difference, but I feel as though my strings last longer and my fretboard (or fingerboard for fretless) gets less gunk build up.

10. I ALWAYS wash my hands - and I also keep hand sanitizer in my gig bag.

11. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I wash before playing to be rid of any unseen burger-juice or fry grease and keep a damp bar towel onstage somewhere for the happy drunk guy sloshing sticky shots our way between songs :D The towel's also for my brilliantly idiotic gui****/singer that sees the main on his side as a good place to set his drinks :mad: I can't tell you how much that irks me..

12. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Why would I wash my hands?

I took a shower today. Probably.

13. Built up fret board crud is how I achieve my tone.

14. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    My brother

15. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    +1 If I'm feeling really gross I'll give em a real quick wash. I wash my hands probably about 3 times a day due to bathroom breaks so i feel they're mostly fine.

Also I hate other people playing my bass. You grab my equipment you deserve my nasty hands.

16. eight0eight

eight0eight

May 31, 2009
    Boston MA
    I try to wash before I touch my instruments and wipe down with a dry cloth when I'm finished. As others have stated strings last longer and less "funk" on your board. The funk is supposed to stay in your fingers;)

17. hailet

hailet

Sep 16, 2012
    Mount Prospect,IL
    A guitarist at GC mentioned to me that after playing a short time his neck felt gummy and asked if I had any ideas. I told him that for 40+ years I had made a habit of washing my hands before playing. He thought I was crazy but said he would try it (maybe). I don't have that problem and never had. Wash wash wash. JMHO

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I usually wash mine when possible, but it's not always convenient or possible.

19. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I wash with water to get off most of the dirt or grime but i really like the feeling of playing with sweaty hands (helps me slide and such with more ease) and using soap dries my skin too much

20. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    If your skin dries out (like mine does) in the winter months, alcohol on cracked skin will wake you right up. It's a great idea though. it will extend the life of your strings.