Cliff Burton Fuzz Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hey_Pauly, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Sep 18, 2017
    Anyone have experience with this?

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Yes

Hollarus and Sartori like this.
  3. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Sep 18, 2017
    Great, thanks.

4. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    And there's the difference to bass chat

5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    LMFAO!

For what it's worth: I tried one out, and while I loved both the fuzz sound and the wah sound, when you're rocked all the way back it's filtered down to almost nothing so it's pretty quiet - meaning if you wanted to just play a line and throw the wah on for accent, you'll have to make sure the "back" position you start and end on is at least partway open, or kick the 'off' switch really quickly (since it's not a switchless triggered wah like Morley's other wahs are).

Hywel Cross and Sartori like this.
  6. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Sep 18, 2017
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am still debating whether I should pick it up. I guess what I need to do is go to the store and try it.

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Huntsville
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I had one and returned it. I was hoping for the Anesthesia vibe but it didn’t work for me.

8. Hywel Cross

Hywel Cross

Oct 3, 2017
    I'like the look and sound of the pedal, but I already have a CryBaby wah and several overdrive/fuzz pedals. Is the fuzz before or after the wah effect on this?

9. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Dual Wah VS Burton Wah?

10. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I had one and returned it. I didn't like that I would have to hit two separate (and awkwardly placed) footswitches to turn on the fuzz and wah at the same time. Could work in a looper though, but I think you are better off with separate (and better) fuzz and an auto-on wah like the Morley dual bass wah, or a switcher looper (Joyo makes an affordable one).

11. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Sounded like fuzz>wah

Sartori and Hywel Cross like this.
  12. Gavin Williams

Gavin Williams

Dec 16, 2017
    Mix them together, with a compressor, and you get a killer Kill em all vibe

13. Gavin Williams

Gavin Williams

Dec 16, 2017
    Also, I believe its Wah>Fuzz considering how much the wah takes over the fuzz

14. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Huntsville
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I recently picked up a couple of vintage Power Wah Boosts, and that is what you want for the Cliff tone, hands down. The boost circuit comes before the Wah, and is what gives it the dramatic, edgy, screaming effect. The high voltage circuit is also key to getting the headroom and output. Such a cool pedal.

15. LegendSTA

LegendSTA

Dec 21, 2017
    I think I'm in the right place. I am new to effects and distortion pedals and equipment.
    What makes Burton's Bass sound like it does in "For Whom the bell tolls"

16. What the guy above you said... fuzz into wah to get the over the top effect is how I’ve found it work. I’ve used various fuzz and a weeping demon wah to get close, not going to get exact but sounds good enough.

17. LegendSTA

LegendSTA

Dec 21, 2017
    Thank you for your info. Im not looking to get the exact sound he had, just a sound base that I’ll tweak here or there. I imagine that, electronics, strings and other couple of things have a say On the final sound of the bass right?

18. Yep agreed, a google search should come up with what Cliff used pretty easily.

19. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Huntsville
    Vintage Morley Power Wah Boost.

LegendSTA likes this.
  20. Fudgebass

Fudgebass

Jun 3, 2019
    I used it after and it sounded great.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022