1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Fbass (thread 13)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom7, Apr 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    That blue with tort is gonna be a real looker not to mention the unique configuration. It won't be long now.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Those are sweet... Love the P/G on the BN.

wthompson007 and TolerancEJ like this.
  3. After @wthompson007 provided my FBass update for me a little earlier, I also received Marcel's reply to my email this morning. He sent 2 more pictures.

mn5uR36.
    BCN0agg.

Tom7, DELACIUS, mngnt and 2 others like this.
  4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    A few blasts from the past:

PA240003.JPG

P1010036.JPG

P1010053.

Tom7, pbass6811, bass08053 and 3 others like this.
  5. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    DSC_5342.JPG
    Pick guards on BNs? I had George make this 18 years ago, it has the original soft nitro that started to wear within the first couple of weeks. It's a '99 and has P pups under the shells so no coil splitter . That and my '65 Jazz Bass are the best basses I've ever played !!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    mngnt, Tom7, bass08053 and 2 others like this.
  6. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    Cool double strap pins. Do you use them both?
    I think they're going for more contrast now with the pick guards, compared to the clear one you have.
    I love to see nice grain patterns though and it would have been a shame to cover yours up.

7. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I just use the one on the end as it gives a sharper break angle on my back as all my other basses have had and I can use the same strap on different basses without having to adjust it. It's funny when the VFs first came out I realized that in a way I was trying to make my BN into one before they existed!

wthompson007 and TolerancEJ like this.
  8. bass08053

bass08053

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    So, I’m just trying to get my options together for ordering my BNF5. Here’s what I have so far before I call Marcel. Pretty standard. Any recommendations? Do I need the pearloid serial number? Do they still do the sticker like they used to if I don’t pick anything?

Satin Charcoal Burst (Black Grain)
    Vintage Tint Neck
    Thumb rest

TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Sticker on every one of them, my man.

As far as the pearloid serial number, I think they look super cool, but I also think there are better ways to spend $350. If I had to spend that $350, I'd probably put it towards an ebony bridge or a 5-pc neck. I spent my extra $350 on maple fret lines.

It sounds like it's gonna be a killer BNF!:thumbsup:

TolerancEJ, bass08053 and BassJuju like this.
  10. bass08053

bass08053

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Thanks! I’ve put this off for too long and still have a 7 month wait once ordered. Considered fretlines and 5 piece neck, but I don’t know the advantages of that neck if anyone can share. Maybe instead of lines I could get those illuminated dots I saw someone had?

TolerancEJ and pbass6811 like this.
  11. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    From my understanding, the more laminates, the less susceptible the neck is to moving during extreme weather changes. I'm guessing there's probably a difference in note articulation, but I'm not sure of the theory behind that.

I really wanted to go with no lines, but I'm just not a good enough fretless player for that. I didn't want to buy a really nice fretless bass, and then not play it because I sound like crap on it, LOL! Besides, if Ryan Martinie can rock a lined fretless, I guess I can too. One day, I'll graduate to an unlined fretless...

I was gonna put it off, but when I found out that this is the last year for the BNF, I decided to bite the bullet and get it done. We may be getting two of the last BNF's???

12. bass08053

bass08053

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    I don’t know how I’ll handle it either. Used to play upright but I only have an NS upright now. I’m tempted to take a leap of faith and go blind. Haha. It’s just such a beautiful board when it’s naked gaboon ebony. You are right. Some of the greatest of all time had lines, but that’s not my main issue. Speaking of Ryan.. he’s in a band with my old teacher in North Carolina. Soften The Glare. Check em out.

I’ll see what Marcel says about that theory of laminates.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  13. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Soften The Glare has been rocking my world for a few months now! I think I've watched everything of theirs on YT about a zillion times! I do love that band! They all look like they're having a blast playing music together! Bon is a PHENOMENAL guitarist and Mitch is just beast!

Speaking of YouTube, this was in my recommended list:

Nice interview with George AND Alain Caron! The interview was more geared towards George, but hearing Alain play and talk is always a beautiful thing! The mutual love and respect that George and Alain have is pretty obvious and real!

14. bass08053

bass08053

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey

Bon is an amazing player as you know. He was a great bass teacher as well back in South Jersey in the 90’s. Gave me the fundamentals I needed. He’s played with so many great players. I need to get back in touch with him.

George and Al. A great combo! I like that the video shows F Bass evolution and how they helped each other to achieve improvements in all our F’s over the years.

15. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    There are a few guys who have the ability to make a conversation or even a dissertation interesting enough to keep you involved the whole time. When it comes to music and bass guitar, I could sit and listen to George and Alain all day! I could also listen to Victor Wooten and Amos Williams from TesseracT. Those guys could talk about bass guitar stuff all day and it would be interesting.

OTOH, there are guys that I admire and love that I can't stand listening to. One of my bass heroes is Doug Wimbish. Love the guy, can't listen to him. Weird.

bass08053 and TolerancEJ like this.
  16. bass08053

bass08053

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    0FD61F62-2D0B-43D9-8D4B-DC1862C683B0. I did it! I finally ordered my bass! I was going over the specs so many times and it just took a phone call with Marcel to cement everything. He really took the time to go over every little detail as standard as my bass will be. I think she’s going to be a fierce beautiful creature when she’s all done. There is a cue of BNF basses going in ASAP if you are thinking about ordering. Just saying. See the attachment for specs. Ended up going with fretlines. No shame in my game!

17. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats!
    My only suggestion would be lose the fretlines. The edge lines and dots they put on there are really all you’ll need. And the “naked” fretboard looks so good!

wthompson007 and bass08053 like this.
  18. bass08053

bass08053

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    I’m debating it as we speak. Love the naked look. You personally find you didn’t need them on your BNF?

wthompson007 likes this.
  19. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nope. Like I said, you have the edge lines and dots. Once you get the feel of the bass, you play by ear anyway.

wthompson007 and bass08053 like this.
  20. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Congratulations! This is very cool. I’d also second the advice from @Dave Hill as I find the side dots and lines to be more than enough. It will be sweet either way, because t way cooler without the lines.