1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Fbass (thread 13)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom7, Apr 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    @pbass6811, my personal favorite fade is the natural -> brown fade you have on your flames Ash BN.

For the BNF, piano Black is cool, but it would be a shame to hide the grain on the body is it is particularly striking. Maybe you can get a picture once the body wood is selected and then decide?

The red fade you mentioned is the in stock page a beauty and the blue fade above is also nice, but I’m partial to the bursts.

What about a Red burst, there was a gloss red burst BNF with a painted ramp in this thread but I cannot locate it right now. But it was stunning.

2. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Agreed... the grain is beautiful. On the website, I really like the Auburn Burst. I don’t think there’s a bad choice and can’t wait to see what you choose.

3. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    You can also come up with your own custom color or fade. According to Marcel "we can do anything".
    I decided to put that to the test for the VF5 jj being built right now. We came up with something they have never done before. The scary part is not knowing for sure what it will look like because it's never been done, there's no picture you can look at and say I want that. I trust them enough to believe it will turn out like I think it will. Maybe you can design your own fade our burst as well.

pbass6811 and TolerancEJ like this.
  4. @pbass6811 @wthompson007 - Great Idea! Devise a finish we’ve never seen before.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    pbass6811 likes this.
  5. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    Here is @thewildest BNF6 it’s just jaw dropping.

Tom7, thewildest, bass08053 and 4 others like this.
  6. pbass6811

pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    The funniest part about these statements is that when I was thinking about a second BN5, I was actually contemplating a custom color before I picked up the Brown Fade! I ran a couple of ideas by the guys to see if they were possible and what the cost would be. As cool as it might be, I don't want to invest in what could turn out to be a $1k paint job on a bass that's already north of $4k.

I went with the Blue Fade finish. Adding the black hardware will give it a pretty stealthy look. It would've been cool to go unlined, but I'm just not ready for that...LOL! According to Donovan, I do still have a few weeks to change my mind about the finish, so we shall see, but I like the Blue Fade a bunch.

7. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    The blue fade is nice and was one the finalists in my debate

pbass6811 likes this.
  8. FingerDub

FingerDub SUSPENDED

Jan 8, 2016
    I can only dream of owning one of these basses one day, and I come in this thread to drool over these incredible looking instruments. That said I I would have gone with the blue fade also. There is a 33 in scale 5-string that has the red fade on it on the web sites in stock page. I really like the way that looks also, especially with the ebony board. In the picture you provided the change between the two colors seems a bit abrupt if you will, instead of more fade. Anyway, congratulations, I can't wait to see it.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    pbass6811, wthompson007 and mngnt like this.
  9. Absolutely fine. As I mentioned earlier, you couldn't go wrong with any of your choices.

pbass6811 and wthompson007 like this.
  10. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Here's some FBass love for those of us who are Chicago fans...

11. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    Any more stuff like this you can find, please don't by shy in posting it. Cheers

Tom7 likes this.
  12. wthompson007 likes this.
  13. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Oh, you mean stuff like this? ;-)

Here's Dmitry Maximov again, with another Chicago cover, this time on a BN5. Sounds so good! This Chicago cover playlist is one of my favorite music playlists on YouTube.

wthompson007 and TolerancEJ like this.
  14. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I'm watching their YT playlist. Some songs have a different bassist, playing a 1960s Fender Jazz, others have Dmitry and his FBasses. Here's another with his BN5:

wthompson007 likes this.
  15. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    Tom7 and TolerancEJ like this.
  16. I just realized I missed part of the description. An AC5 Signature on a VF body.

Yes, the ground work does look familiar to me, I guess I'm going for a merging of different components in my VF6-PJ Fretless build.

Did you use it as a trade-in for something?

17. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    I wish that AC was mine, I never would have traded it.
    I was just at the shop having George do a setup on Fabiana (my BN5) and as I went for my usual tour saw your new bass hanging around.
    Also got to see the body of my new VF5 jazz. The neck hasn't been cut yet. 20180514_125749. 20180514_125811. So far I'm liking the grain :)

bass08053 and TolerancEJ like this.
  18. LOL I had a feeling I missed the point of your reply.

That is nice to know. Doesn't look like much changed from 2 weeks ago.

Your grain looks awesome! What kind of finish have you decided on?

wthompson007 likes this.
  19. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    Don't quote me on this but Marcel said yours should be completed in about 2 weeks. Lucky bugger!
    My finish is going to be something they've never done before. It's a variation of an auburn fade with walnut grain enhancement. If it turns out like I'm hoping it should be awesome.
    Check out these BNs with with VF pickguards they're working on now. Pretty cool. 20180514_141134. 20180514_141123.

djozzo, neal davis, Tom7 and 3 others like this.
  20. I sent Marcel an email this morning for an update. Turns out my update came from you. :)

Your finish choice sounds intriguing. I can't wait to see the final product.

That looks real good. I'm getting a Tort pickguard on mine.

wthompson007 likes this.