1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Fbass (thread 13)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom7, Apr 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    Ya, The eposed polls really seem to work on this bass. Had it been a 5-string I probably would have kept it, but then I wouldn't have my AC 5 so it all works out I guess.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. Slod

Slod Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Montreal QC
    From Marcel Furlanetto :''It gives a little more clarity and output at the stock pickup height."

3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I'd assume it is mostly aesthetics. Though I'd assume there is some difference in how close you can get the pole pieces to the strings, which could have an effect. Of course you could just lower the pickups and get back to the same proximity as a covered set. That's my guess.

It's probably a decent up-charge because it isn't a common request. They probably use the same wood, but then need to shape it, and drill it to fit each pole piece flush. They also probably need to specially build the pickups to have raised pole pieces that stick up through the cover, assuming the "standard" ones have them flush with the pickup. All in, it probably takes a little longer to customize than you'd expect. Build in a pricing cushion for occasional errors. Also, assume that buyers who want this feature probably really want it, so they can squeeze a little more out of that. Boom. $350.

4. The exposed pole pickups are custom made with longer poles to reach the top of the cover.

5. I wonder if this is just a trick of the mind.

Magnetic fields can pass through most materials without being affected, including wood or even concrete.

Tom7 likes this.
  6. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    I take 'at stock pickup height' to mean that the pickup surface is the same distance from the strings as the non-exposed version. This would mean the tops of the pole pieces (regardless of their length) are closer to the strings, no?

monsterthompson likes this.
  7. It would definitely increase output as the poles got closer to the strings... but it would also increase the likelihood that your fingers will push the strings into the pickup poles - making loud clacking noises - while you're playing.

I don't know, I just prefer the wood covers myself and don't think it detracts from tone in any way. But there may be some folks with super sensitive hearing that can detect differences.

It's good you can have it either way!

mngnt, Fred312b, bass08053 and 2 others like this.
  8. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think the exposed poles looks especially slick on the newer Deluxe BNs, where there's 2 rows of poles per pickup. But I'm also into the non-exposed. Just depends on the instrument.

Fred312b and monsterthompson like this.
  9. I should really stay off the classifieds. This is a dangerous place.

Found my next 4 stringer, should receive her next week:

TTFaNyQ.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Link doesn't work for me. Must be awesome though!

11. Hmmm... thanks for the heads up. I think I fixed it.

Attached Files:

Tom7, Fred312b and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    :drool:

phillipkregg and mngnt like this.
  13. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    A good example of different strokes,I can’t stand my finger tips hitting anything on a pick up cover, one of the things I don’t like about the wood cover is how it curves and the rear pup hits my fingers,my next F would be a VF with just standard Jazz pups. ‘70s placement for slightly more room between them.

14. Hello, I’m new to Talkbass and I would like to join Club F Bass. I bought my first F Bass 2 and a half years ago and it’s still my number one bass. It’s a Fiesta Red VF4 Jazz (60’s position) with ash center and alder wings and strung with DR Sunbeams. The tone and playability is amazing especially when I play so many Rush, Led Zeppelin and Jamiroquai tunes. My second F Bass is a VF4 PJ that I bought from F Basses In Stock Instruments. It’s an Alder body Strung with DR Low Riders and it mixes so well with my Praise Band. 9A348515-7D5A-49CD-8D71-AFAEB579CF8E.jpeg

15. My third F Bass I also got from the In Stock Instruments, it’s a 1998 Swamp Ash BNF 5 strung E to C. Finally my fourth and latest bass is a Blue BN6 with a 33 inch neck and 16.5mm string spacing. I play a lot of ambient music (Damian Coccio) along with a Strymon Big Sky and Timeline And a Pigtronix Infinity Looper Pedals sent to a Bergantino B/amp and 2 Reference 112’s. Everything about this setup for playing this type of music is beyond awesome and it’s a total pleasure to play. Marcel and his team at F bass were awesome to work with and I will look forward to seeing them at NAMM in 10 days time. F3507732-12E5-42A2-AB63-89C100429729.jpeg

16. wthompson007

wthompson007

Jul 14, 2017
    That's a nice Fbass collection! I think you have just about every tone covered with those four.

Tom7 and Baird6869 like this.
  17. Absolutely! So happy with everyone of them.

phillipkregg and Fred312b like this.
  18. Love that Trans Blue BN6. When I placed my order for my blue BN6, yours is what I thought I ordered. I was mistaken and the trans-finish would have been an upcharge. Mine has a solid blue finish with no pore filler, but I still love it all the same.
    i1lXBRB.jpg

19. The solid blue finish looks fantastic. I love how deep the blue color looks

Fred312b and TolerancEJ like this.
  20. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I'm looking for another 4 string vf4 or maybe a bn4 if someone wants to trade for one of these a GFC L5 and BN5 with ebony board.

Attached Files:

wellso74 likes this.