Club Moollon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by was3funk, Nov 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Corto14

Corto14

Feb 6, 2019
    Italy
    prices are still the same?

2. patzilla83

patzilla83 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Pflugerville, TX
    I was quoted $2449 for a p-classic IV in desert sand w/ ebony board and tort guard. I added the truss rod access option.

SLO Surfer, mmbass21 and Corto14 like this.
  3. Corto14

Corto14

Feb 6, 2019
    Italy
    Damn! wrong idea enter this thread :banghead:
    Now I’m really Tempted :crying:

SLO Surfer and patzilla83 like this.
  4. 600 Ohms

600 Ohms Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    YOU FOOL!

SLO Surfer likes this.
  5. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    From everything I've heard it's worth it. I was quoted 11 months and this month is my 11th month but Andi emailed me that due to some unfortunate delays it'll be another 3-4 months wait.

So if you're thinking about it I'd say do it and all you have to come up with right now is the deposit and then you have plenty of time to figure out the final payment. Now it someone would buy my Sadowsky in the classifieds I won't have to sweat my final payment!

6. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    15 to 16 months now? Damn. A lot of folks must be putting in orders.

patzilla83 likes this.
  7. patzilla83

Oct 5, 2004
    Pflugerville, TX
    Andi said there were about 70 orders ahead of mine.

Bassic Needs likes this.
  8. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    Really happy to see them doing well but that wait-list has me wondering if I need to consider lining up another build before it grows to 2 years.

ReillyProductions and mmbass21 like this.
  9. maplebar

maplebar

May 21, 2020
    California
    Do you mean June 2020?

10. sam91

sam91

Jun 23, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1. I put my deposit in mid Feb 2020 and was told initially 1 year. Andy told me a couple of months ago it'll be delayed to around the end of April 2021 so it's already over a year of waiting for me that should be over very soon...Hope it won't get delayed much more. Thinking on the new orders waiting 15 months + for a bass...damn, that's no joke man...No guarantee you'll be alive to play the bass ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    patzilla83 and SLO Surfer like this.
  11. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    That would mean July (or worse) 2021 for me based on that... Good problems to have, but still a problem!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  12. patzilla83

Oct 5, 2004
    Pflugerville, TX
    If mine shows up in 15 months, I’ll receive it around my birthday in 2022. I hope “future me” appreciates my kind gesture.

13. Corto14

Corto14

Feb 6, 2019
    Italy
    Birthday in July?
    if so, I was just thinking the same "15 months? well, could be a very pleasing birthday first from the younger me" :smug:

patzilla83 likes this.
  14. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    + 15 Months. It's Worth every second.

15. Ultradust

Ultradust Commercial User

May 19, 2007
    Seoul, Republic of Korea
    General Manager, Moollon
    Hi all, thanks for everyone hanging in there and great to see the activity in the thread. Been planning this post since Xmas as I saw things backing up, and finally got to typing it up after consulting with YJ regarding a number of details we had been discussing since last autumn.

- - - - - -

Greetings Moollon friends and family everywhere.

For everyone who makes music for their livelihood, for sheer enjoyment, or are one of the many to which the two are inextricably linked, it has been quite a humbling year and some for us all, as the world continues to wrestle with the ongoing COVID crisis, just as we all are more than a little in need of seeing our careers in music and everything else return to some sort of normalcy and stability. And although we have been in touch with many of you directly to pass on hints of news over the past year, we regret that not everyone has been kept atop of local happens at the Moollon shop. Granted, over here in Seoul we’ve been rather blessed to be fairly unaffected by the crisis as a whole, the nation as a whole is all masked up and spaced apart, and other than missing out on seeing our favorite int’l artists grace these shores and not being able to play out ourselves nearly as much as usual, we’re faring rather alright.

However, it’s with a sober heart and much self-reflection that we’ve been wanting to make a proper announcement regarding difficulties in workflow and current progress at the Moollon shop, since orders have not been nearly as swift to completion as we had hoped, stemming primarily from the unfortunate need for a number of re-fins late last summer to winter (not optimal nitrocellulose lacquer blends), that greatly stifled overall progress of orders placed.

Many of you eagerly waiting completion of your orders might be aware how there was a 12-month estimate for those begun in January 2020 and how that figure soon ballooned to much beyond that through the end of last year, and YJ is doing his best to address each one as they were placed, based on the completion of bodies and matching necks that can be prepared, despite the need for many refins along the way. That being said, a number of them are “out of sequence” due to the aforementioned finishing issues, and by no means do we want to give the impression of favoritism with completion dates (which we’ve been accused of in the past); its simply a matter of doing what can be done at the time and moving on to the next, without compromising quality or pace.

This is all to say that significant current delays on all 2020 orders are in effect, and we regret that specific dates cannot be given as to estimated time of completion with any degree of specificity. YJ’s work flow is sequential and thorough, but unfortunately as the Moollon shop is not an assembly line with CNC machines, robot lacquer sprayers, more than one person building at a time, nor anything resembling an easy-to-predict schedule, things aren’t as “linear” as we’d hope, and the number of builds completed each month are simply not uniform, since not all specs on each model require the same quantity of attention, prior to completion..
    And for this we want to sincerely apologize to everyone for the ongoing delays beyond estimated completion times.

But for those considering a Moollon order in the immediate future or within the coming 12+ months, we have also had to make a difficult decision to limit available options for the sake of all orders, in hope that YJ will be able to catch up to a certain degree on the mountain of orders already placed and in progress, especially with yet another massive customer surge in orders this spring. What this means is that when it comes to orders placed today (2021/4/19) through at least May 2022:

• All available finishes as offered up to now will still be on the menu (no changes to available finishes).

• However, there will be a moratorium on the availability of 1966-style bound necks, matching headstocks, and aged bodies (weather checking and light wear). Note that completed 1970s-style J necks are in very limited supply, but since all necks have to be 1:1 matches with in-shop bodies, orders with them will be especially long and we do not recommend having them added to an order as such until we're back to normal.

• Orders will be limited to one-unit-per-customer at a time.

• Completion dates for fresh orders are honestly uncharted territory for us, and we simply cannot be sure at this time until we get on top of 2020 orders and are able to assess things. 16 - 18+ months is a mildly safe bet based on the current list and progress, but expecting a longer time period than shorter is strongly advised, before placing an order.

• Other than locally-shipped parcels, shipping costs have significantly risen for us, even though they have not been added to customer costs just yet. Changes in total cost to reflect our need to cover this additional burden will be announced in advance, if deemed required.

Looking back, we started to sense that customers were already feeling an upcoming crunch in late 2019 to early 2020, very much indicated in the sudden double and triple orders that some had made, not to mention how we started to hear more requests for "can you rush my order?" and "sell me your shop demos" like never before.

But as we’ve mentioned in our simple FAQ and in personal conversations with so many of you, Moollon has always primarily existed to make available true-to-spec reproductions of early-production pieces at an affordable price for those who value vintage tone and feel on the classic recordings we all love, even though sales as such will never monetarily reciprocate to company profit, no matter how many we sell. That’s just reality and is unchanged.

We sincerely appreciate the support of every Moollon family member, from the past to the future, and look forward to providing the same degree of quality and true-to-vintage tone and resonance that YJ's early models did up to the present. We'd like to request everyone’s patience and kind understanding as we as well deal with the reality of operating a single-man shop when the demand is greater than ever, and the proverbial spanner suddenly hit the cogs as hard as it did last year, causing the present crunch. We are both grateful and greatly burdened by everyone’s ongoing support and interest, and hope to be able to deliver YJ’s best for as long as the operation is in motion.

Be safe, and thank you everyone, from the three of us here at the shop.

The Moollon Staff.

- - - - - -

Note: orders already placed are not affected by the moratorium on more custom specs!

16. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    This was expected but honestly I almost expected a total pause on orders until things felt normal again. Hopefully my 1st bass ordered in 2020 can get done this year and ill just consider the bass I ordered in 2021 to be a nice surprise one day :D

Bassic Needs and mmbass21 like this.
  17. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    I can certainly respect that. Much appreciated for the update, Mr Roselund. I have two to love in the mean time.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  18. kenny ames

kenny ames

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.

Have owned everything under the sun and had relations with many top builders/luthiers over the years.

Nothing but respect, honor and support to YJ and Andi as they navigate their way through last year and the immediate future.

Quality over quantity with a heaping dose of integrity.

Tip of the hat, gents!

19. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    YJ and Andi are truly great folks.

20. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    Nothing but respect for Andi's refreshing honesty and knowledge, coupled with YJ's relentless commitment to producing quality basses that sing on every string.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021