Club Moollon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by was3funk, Nov 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Just dropped the deposit for a lovely Desert Sand P-Classic IV. I turned 39 last week so it’s gonna be a wonderful belated 40th bday present!

Looking forward so much. As a true Pbass fanatic I’ve been eyeballing these basses for years and I’ve read every single comment in this thread. Thanks for sharing all your info guys!

2. patzilla83

patzilla83 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Pflugerville, TX
    Congrats! I also went with desert sand. What color pickguard did you go with?

3. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Congrats! My P IV is also going to be my 40th present. A few months build delay but can't wait to get mine soon.

4. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I want desert sand...with mint.

5. It was too hard too pick one, so I ordered three pickguards; tort, white and mint. They all work well with desert sand and it might be nice to change it every once and a while.

6. 600 Ohms

600 Ohms Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    You called it. I seem to have sold my Sadowsky. I may own another in the future, especially an NYC. But I came to prefer a passive bass. In every "what's the right bass for this?" shootout, I picked the Moollon every time. Somehow turning the preamp off never gave me the same thing.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  7. Derek DiFilippo

Derek DiFilippo

Jun 9, 2005
    Wow, we talked about that back in October 2019. It's so cool you remembered that. It does take time for instruments to settle in and to get to know them.

There's around a 3:1 price ratio between a Moollon and an NYC Sadowsky? I prefer having three different passive (but equally classic) basses rather than a single one-bass-to-rule-them-all with active electronics.

I had been saving for a few years to get a boutique-ish 5 string, kept trying expensive ones expecting magic, but nothing was feeling right. Then I realized my P-bass wasn't happening and decided to fix that first.

I started with a Moollon P-IV which was unbelievably good, all my friends noticed the change, etc., and then discovered I still had savings left :). I have been able to order two more (a P-V and a J-V) since then.

No disrespect to any other manufacturers or any other players with different tastes. That's just my own experience/taste and I'm guessing others in this thread feel the same.

8. kenny ames

kenny ames

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.
    Spot on.

Derek DiFilippo likes this.
  9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I had a really nice Japanese metro that was my main player until I got the Moollon. Was the sadowsky more ergonomic? Yes. Was it more stable in terms of truss rod, and easier to adjust? Yes. Did the moollons vibe and fatness kick the sadowsky to the curb almost immediately? YES.

10. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    100%

11. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    I never forgot that comment, because I didn't know at the time how it could be possible.

There's a place for all these great instruments. Players are funny about their preferences, and it rarely has anything to do with being rational.

12. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    The decision came after I finally figured out how to EQ the J for funk and R&B, something a Sadowsky does effortlessly, but I couldn't quite dial on this bass. Moollon's J pickups are a little bit dark, and 90% of the time, that's in the best possible way, but if you need to make your best Skeet Curtis or early Darryl Jones impression happen (and you sometimes do), they are found wanting in the very top octave. I had a much easier time with a couple of Fender CS Jazzes for this, but didn't like them as much for anything else.

The conventional wisdom of the "smiley-face EQ" I think is wrong. By doing that, you end up boosting too much bass to be useful, cutting too much midrange to be heard, and very often your amp's treble knob is probably cornered at too low a frequency (like 3.5k or 4k) so you end up boosting lots of "gank". Then you start wanting a HPF to deal with all that boosted bass.

The solution for me is a single 5k shelf and boost to taste, and this is just high enough to work around the gank. You don't change the tone of the bass at all, it just adds a little "air" without ruining what's great down below. Noble EQ knobs around 9:00 each for a gentle slope that sounds good on everything, and kick on the shelf EQ when I need it, with a pedal. That's it.

It sounds great with about 4dB of gain, but I can get pretty darn close to this, if I crank it high enough (like 15dB!):

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    D_Patrick, Derek DiFilippo and J.Wolf like this.
  13. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

I will have to try this. I do struggle occasionally with getting a good modern slap tone out of my ash/maple JV. Like you said so well, most of the time, the voicing of the pick ups is just perfect, the only times I find it lacking or when I am looking for a slap tone. And I agree that the freq has to be high enough to avoid all the gank and just add air and snap. I think the upper treble on my Trickfish 1k can do it, as it has shelves at 4 or 8k. Gonna try opening it up a bit at 4 and see if it helps.

600 Ohms likes this.
  14. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    My experience exactly. You might get away with it at 4k if the slope doesn't push up too much 1-3k, but it just might. I'd guess that 8k is too high, but who knows? I never tried it up that high. I use a SA EQ2 pedal for this.

15. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Yeah 8 is too high, for me, on this amp anyways. 4 might be OK. I have an Empress Para EQ I can put in the mix, that thing is like a scalpel!

600 Ohms likes this.
  16. 600 Ohms

Jan 4, 2012
    Perfect choice.

ReillyProductions likes this.
  17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    NBD. J Classic V. Older one. I dig it ;)

Attached Files:

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I've got a few hours in the shed on this thing now. You guys weren't kidding... the Low B is great on these. Sonically its an extension of the other 4 strings. Very organic with that low mid purr you get from an old J. Reminds me of the '64 I used to own. Can't wait to get this on stage.

19. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    i know there was an update on facebook saying there was some delay in orders, but wondering if anyone has heard of any deliveries of moollons recently? I haven't seen more than maybe 2 posts all year about a new moollon being delivered. Makes me nervous....

MattyMcMattface likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021