Club Moollon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by was3funk, Nov 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    It would be nice to see some pics of recently completed basses and maybe a general update of how things are.
    It's too bad they ran into issues, but things happen.
    My bass was originally scheduled to be completed in April/May of this year but as hard as it is to wait, I can wait a few more months to get a perfect bass.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Same boat. I paid my deposit June 15th 2020 and was told 11-12 months. i'm looking at getting it around October/November hopefully if the 4 month delay is true.

Bassic Needs likes this.
  3. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    I never heard about the delay timeline. Was it posted somewhere?

4. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    posted to The Facebook group. All 2020 orders are backlogged 4-5 months

5. 600 Ohms

600 Ohms Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Is that not the same thing mentioned HERE?

6. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    yes!

7. Ultradust

Ultradust Commercial User

May 19, 2007
    Seoul, Republic of Korea
    General Manager, Moollon
    I'll be posting some more ash P-Classic shots on FB this weekend. And if my relatively quiet IG feed as of late is any indication, I've simply been more preoccupied than usual.

Unfortunately, what we somewhat feared along the way indeed happened...Since the last report of delays as mentioned on April 18/19, we saw (collectively based on folks' email inquires) what seemed almost like a sudden panic, resulting in 28 new orders since then (3 for guitars, 25 for basses), and 31 if you count conversations in progress that seem to be pointed in the direction of swift orders confirmed by the end of this weekend. Note that this is the highest surge for orders we've ever had, and was done in spite of the moratorium in place on neck trim and checking/aging, etc.

Just to be reasonable/realistic I'm telling people to expect well in excess of 24 months now (everything is quite arbitrary, to be honest) and personally I would prefer that all new orders from here on would cease until at least late next year *wink wink*, but not because I don't have much time of my own...I'm more concerned about Boss staying healthy and being able to keep things going, since he's been the shop 7 days a week for months on end and is trying to find some equilibrium with work flow to at least catch up on builds for customers from 2020, everyone patiently waiting for theirs to be assembled...with YJ only just recently starting on January 2020 orders, still unassisted.

So to be clear, this is just me speaking (not an official Moollon company position), wanting to pass on that if you really don't need a Moollon like your life depends on it, please feel free to not initiate an new order for one... or hoard them in the years to come :)

Remember, 20 years on since founding and Moollon, is still a deficit operation that transitioned in 2008 to primarily recreate early-production classics for those that know the tone and feel (YJ's pursuit of "second best thing to vintage" being the philosophy) selling at much less than they cost to produce, and more orders we get does not equal company profit...it just means a longer wait.

But we're grateful as always, and are glad to be on this journey with everyone who's joined us.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I was thinking about ordering a P-Classic, but I think I'll hold off and maybe search for a used one. Got to keep YJ healthy! He has a very unique product especially considering the extreme detail he goes into building true pre CBS recreations, and thats got to account for such a high demand. Super greatful that I was able to acquire the J Classic V I recently picked up.

9. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thank you for your honesty and straightforwardness regarding the status of orders. You were also very up front to me when I recently contacted you regarding an order for a P5.

I would have 100% confidence if I were to place an order with you. In the meantime I will continue my quest for a used P5.

dies anyone in this thread have a used O5 that they would like to move??

10. Bassic Needs

Bassic Needs

Jul 7, 2019
    Canada
    Even without the setbacks I'm sure the wait-list was going to keep on growing.

Moollon's are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

11. kenny ames

kenny ames

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.

YJ is a treasure and a rarity in these times!!

I sure hope if he’s too stubborn to come up for air and take a break from time to time, that Andi or family would kidnap him and force him into some semblance of balance.

I don’t know if you could find a bigger fan of what he does than myself, but at the end of the day it’s only wire and wood but theirs only one YJ!!

Stay healthy.

12. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin
    Wow, The man is working 7 days a week for months takes a toll on the body. He Needs a break and enjoy some down time.

13. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    thats great to hear that there is progress. would love to keep seeing photos on insta but with everything so busy totally get that time is limited. Hope YJ takes some time off now and again to rest so he can stay healthy.

14. kenny ames

kenny ames

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.
    Had a friend reach out regarding what a PV sounded like and asked if I had any recordings. Turns out I did and he was able to purchase a Moollon after hearing what they do in a mix.

Figured may as well share em here too.

We did 5 songs in 3 hrs. Was fast and furious. Non perfect demos. Not mastered or mixed. But still can tell how good these basses track.

Good Time To Leave is a JV w/ rounds through a Fatboy tube di.

This Close To Home is a PV w/ flats trough a Fatboy tube di.

Someone Like Me is a PV w/ flats and a Fatboy.

Listen w/ good in ears or studio speakers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021 at 12:58 AM
  15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    That sounds great Kenny. Glad the PV worked out so well for you.
    A couple tech things if you don’t mind - are those Labellas? …and I just wanted to note that Fatboy is about as close to an old Pultec as any thing I’ve heard. Love that!

16. kenny ames

kenny ames

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.
    Hey, Tom.

The Fatboy is hard to beat. When I heard the playback of the JV, I asked the engineer what the signal chain was on his end. He grinned and said that all he did was turn it up.:)

La Bella Low Tension Flats on E-G and Deep Talkin flat on the B.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021