1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Commitment"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Aug 18, 2012.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Something that's been bugging me watching the musician's ads on our local CL, so I just posted this to it. Comments and discussion welcome.

2. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I always interpret any talk of "commitment" or "dedication" as "we're looking for somebody who's not good enough to have better options".

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It usually means "we want you to play with our band exclusively". Which is, of course, pure nonsense. When a band can keep me gigging and making as much money as I think I could/should be making at it, I can commit. In the meantime, I'll play with whomever, wherever, and as often as I please. That "commitment" crap wore thin with me ... 30 years in the corporate jungle, and all it got me was a forced retirement about five years before I wanted to retire. I now do what's right for ME ... it may include you, but maybe not.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I was gona post and then saw this.
    Well put and a wholehearted +1.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I agree with everything said so far, but a band's desire for commitment from a new member may also stem from having had too many "climbers" pass through the outfit. Climbers are players who use the new band in a premeditated fashion to get practice, get exposure, meet other players, meet agents, steal song lists, and so on -- solely to advance their careers.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I always wondered who these people were that posted angry messages to CL, like it was a chat board........ ;)

7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I always assumed that committment referred to being a person who would put in a little effort to being a good band mate. That you'll show up to rehearsal and be into making good music.

Sort of like......don't be a flake.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Not everybody is in it for the money, not that there is anything wrong with that. Maybe the band doesn't want to juggle their practice schedule and gigs around a new member's availability. There's nothing wrong with that either.

9. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I've never auditioned through a CL ad but from most of them I've seen "comitted" is what you should be if you decided to go try out for them.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It's usually a good idea to date for a while before getting married.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did it come off angry? A little frustrated maybe. Mea culpa. They call it the "community" section, I thought a little input into the community would be called for. Actually, as it happens, it's now been flagged and removed... oh well...

I was prompted this particular time by a band posting that they didn't want "mercenaries" who wanted to come in, play, and collect the gig money. That set me thinking a bit; the implication is that they want someone who's going to hang around rehearsing for some length of time before the band starts to gig and make money. And THAT implies to me that the people posting are going to need lots of rehearsing before they'll be gig-ready, and that they resent a musician who might show up already knowing their parts and ready to go... which, from the perspective of a seasoned, serious musician (in whose ranks I do not count myself), is to say they want to waste a lot of their time. Am I off base here?

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Asking or requiring commitment is fine as long as they are offering something to commit to.

Many ads go on and on about what they want but fail to say anything about what they're offering.

Blue

13. I agree with bluewine (never thought I would say that).
    To be a legal contract there has to be an agreement and consideration (business law came in handy).
    Well the same for these CL commitment freaks, they should at least give you a reason to commit. I think these normally are control freak type guys who lose players to other bands that have gigs. They probably want you to rehearse what they chose for their vision of a band that will probably never the rehearsal space.

14. Demonjrx

Demonjrx

May 30, 2012
    United States
    I've never once actually auditioned for a band, or used a craigslist ad for that matter. Seems unnatural to me. I'm perfectly fine with playing with my bestfriend lol

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That's what usually happens to rant post on CL around here, too.

16. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    I won't go on a date with you unless you agree to marry me the day of the date.

17. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I got a completely different interpretation of the ad. In this town there are a lot of pro players who - if you give them charts - can show up at the gig and pull it off. They are fast guns for hire, so to speak.
    So when I see a request for commitment, to me that just means that they want to have a band with a certain amount of rehearsal (for them, even if you don't need it). The idea is to eliminate those pro guys who are not interested in the musical or social aspects of a regular rehearsal.

18. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Guess they don't understand,,,take me out,,then kiss,,not loss me forst

19. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    See got scared ,,someone mentioned commitment

20. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Thing is, and I don't know how old your are. If your young, that availability of best friends and playing with best friends might not be an option as you get older.

I am also not sure why you would limit yourself to only playing with friends.

My band is made up of good people, but I'm not friends with anyone in my band and it works.

I might limit myself to playing only with those that demonstrate professionalism.